Beginning self-study - one question

In summary: Halmos style?).In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of studying calculus and the use of trigonometry identities. The student plans to study the subject deeply by working through Spivak's Calculus alongside their regular coursework. They have a specific question about which trig identities they should know by heart and which ones they can look up. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that it is better to understand how to derive the identities rather than just memorizing them and to focus on the essential identities such as sin^2 + cos^2 = 1.
Laura Palmer
Hi,

I will begin studying calculus this or next week. I'm registered for the online version of U of Wisc's Calculus and Analytic Geometry. It's the standard, non-honors class, so we're using Thomas and Finney. Because I foresee wanting a deeper understanding of the subject, I will also be working through Spivak's Calculus concurrently.

I spent the last few weeks reviewing precalc topics. I'm all set, I just have one specific question: which trig identities should I be able to pull out automatically? I'm highly motivated in studying - and I hate the feeling of coming across something I don't know due to prior laziness - but I also abhor bad/wasted studying time. I'd rather not spend a few days cramming dozens of trig identities into my head if there's really no point. I'd rather spend those days reading the beginning of Spivak, laying some conceptual foundations.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Physics news on Phys.org
sin^2 + cos^2 = 1

is the most used trig identity by at least an order of magnitude, everything else you can look up later for specific questions.

Thanks. Of course that's the ideal answer! Now I can focus on the interesting stuff...

I think the best way to go about this is to learn how to derive them. Rather than actually go about memorizing them. As you go a long you'll find out which ones are necessary and which ones aren't (hopefully while doing problems rather than on a test). And Spivak's Calculus is an excellent choice! I used that for an honours analysis course and its definitely one of the best introductory analysis books out there! Good luck with your self-study! :)

There's a difference between trig identities that you should know, and identities that you know exist and be able to use.

The identities that you should know by heart are:
[tex]\cos^2(x)+\sin^2(x)=1[/tex]
[tex]\sin(2x)=2\sin(x)\cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]\cos(2x)=\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)[/tex]
[tex]\tan(x)=\sin(x)/\cos(x)[/tex]
[tex]1+\tan^2(x)=1/\cos^2(x)[/tex]

Trig identities that you should not know by heart, but just know that they exist:
-formula's that calculate sine, cosine and tangent of a sum: not so important, but sometimes useful.
- formula's that change the product of sines/cosines to sum of sines/cosines (Simpson's formula's): these are very important for some integrals!
- formula's that calculate sin(2x), cos(2x) and tan(2x) in terms of the tangent function. These are very important for other integrals!

There's no use in learning the above three classes, you'll forget them anyway and end up looking them up. But you should know that they exist and be able recognize when to use them.

I like Buri's idea--being able to derive them is better in my opinion. For instance, I can't remember the cos(2x) identity for the life of me, but I can remember the addition formulae by using the complex exponential, [itex] e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x) [/tex]:

[tex]
(\cos\alpha + i \sin\alpha)(\cos\beta + i \sin\beta)=e^{i\alpha}e^{i\beta} = e^{i(\alpha + \beta)} = \cos(\alpha + \beta) + i \sin(\alpha + \beta)
[/tex]

and then multiplying out the LHS. I can then figure out the double angle formula by setting [itex] \alpha = \beta [/itex].

So, in my opinion, [itex] \sin^2x + \cos^2x = 1[/itex] and the addition formulae are the only identities that are essential to memorize.

spamiam said:
I like Buri's idea--being able to derive them is better in my opinion. For instance, I can't remember the cos(2x) identity for the life of me, but I can remember the addition formulae by using the complex exponential, [itex] e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x) [/tex]:

[tex]
(\cos\alpha + i \sin\alpha)(\cos\beta + i \sin\beta)=e^{i\alpha}e^{i\beta} = e^{i(\alpha + \beta)} = \cos(\alpha + \beta) + i \sin(\alpha + \beta)
[/tex]

and then multiplying out the LHS. I can then figure out the double angle formula by setting [itex] \alpha = \beta [/itex].

So, in my opinion, [itex] \sin^2x + \cos^2x = 1[/itex] and the addition formulae are the only identities that are essential to memorize.

One danger with deriving formula's instead of memorizing them is pattern recognition. If you for example end up with the formula

[tex]\frac{\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)}{\sin(2x)}[/tex]

then someone who memorized his formula's will immediately recognize this to be [tex]cotan(2x)[/tex] (and simplify the subsequent calculations a lot!). Somebody who can only derive his formula's, will not see the shortcut and make very long calculations instead! This is why I think it is better to have some formula's memorized. Of course, understanding is much better than memorizing, but in mathematics you cannot derive everything (otherwise it would take to long). You really can't do without memorizing some formula's...

micromass said:
One danger with deriving formula's instead of memorizing them is pattern recognition. If you for example end up with the formula

[tex]\frac{\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)}{\sin(2x)}[/tex]

then someone who memorized his formula's will immediately recognize this to be [tex]cotan(2x)[/tex] (and simplify the subsequent calculations a lot!). Somebody who can only derive his formula's, will not see the shortcut and make very long calculations instead! This is why I think it is better to have some formula's memorized. Of course, understanding is much better than memorizing, but in mathematics you cannot derive everything (otherwise it would take to long). You really can't do without memorizing some formula's...

When I say derive formulas I implicitly assume that the individual is familiar with certain trig identities. Obviously, if you don't even recognize something you're doomed (what are you going to derive?), but memorization isn't necessary for pattern recognition. And besides, memorization in the sense that I'll sit down with a list of trig identities and attempt to commit them to memory will also fail. Using them a lot will lead someone to remember them, but if after not using them for a while, its inevitable that you'll forget them also. I'm a pure mathematics student and so memorization has never been my cup of tea (Pugh style! lol).

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Ok, so a kind of consensus is emerging - or at least a synthesis, in my mind: 1) Definitely don't waste time trying to memorize them all as if I have an exam. I won't retain them anyway. 2) It's important to be familiar with the sum/difference, double/half-angle, and product identities. 3) At that point, either a) leave it at that and derive the identities (based on familiarity) when necessary or b) commit a handful to memory, most notably the sum and double angle identities for example.

Option b) strikes me as a good balance. I'll work with the lot of them for the next day or two and memorize a half-dozen.

Again, thanks for the help!

1. What is the best way to begin self-study?

The best way to begin self-study is to first determine your goals and interests. Then, create a study plan that includes specific objectives, resources, and a schedule. It is also helpful to break down your study material into smaller chunks and to regularly review and practice what you have learned.

2. How do I stay motivated during self-study?

Staying motivated during self-study can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting realistic goals and rewarding yourself for achieving them can provide motivation. Additionally, finding a study buddy or joining a study group can help keep you accountable and motivated. It's also important to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy to avoid burnout.

3. How can I track my progress during self-study?

Tracking your progress during self-study can help you stay on track and make adjustments as needed. One way to do this is by keeping a study journal or using a tracking app to record your study hours, topics covered, and any areas of weakness. You can also set periodic checkpoints to assess your understanding and adjust your study plan accordingly.

4. Is self-study as effective as traditional classroom learning?

Self-study can be just as effective as traditional classroom learning if done correctly. It requires discipline, organization, and a willingness to take responsibility for your own learning. With a well-planned study approach, utilizing various resources, and seeking help when needed, self-study can be a highly effective way to learn.

5. How do I know if I am ready to take a test or exam after self-study?

The best way to determine if you are ready to take a test or exam after self-study is to regularly test yourself throughout the studying process. This can be done through practice quizzes or tests, or by reviewing your study material and testing yourself on the key concepts. If you consistently perform well on these assessments, it is a good indication that you are ready to take the actual test or exam.