Behaviour of series (radius of convergence)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Lengalicious
Messages
162
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{(n+1)}\frac{(x)^n}{na^n}[/tex]

what is the behaviour of the series at radius of convergence [tex]\rho_o=-z[/tex] ?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


So I can specify that the series is monatonic if z is non negative as [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{(n+1)}\frac{(-z)^n}{na^n}[/tex] right?

But then I suppose I have to do the integral test but I am a bit confused because you cannot integrate [tex](-1)^{(x+1)}\frac{(-z)^x}{xa^x}[/tex]?

Thanks, in advance!
 
Attachments
  • Attach.jpg
    Attach.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what the various symbols mean. What is ##\rho_0##? What is ##z##? How are they related to the series and ##x##?

Most of the tests you have for convergence apply to positive or non-negative series. You don't have that here, do you? Or do you?
 
Lengalicious said:

Homework Statement



Series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{(n+1)}\frac{(x)^n}{na^n}[/tex]

what is the behaviour of the series at radius of convergence [tex]\rho_o=-z[/tex] ?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


So I can specify that the series is monatonic if z is non negative as [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{(n+1)}\frac{(-z)^n}{na^n}[/tex] right?

But then I suppose I have to do the integral test but I am a bit confused because you cannot integrate [tex](-1)^{(x+1)}\frac{(-z)^x}{xa^x}[/tex]?

Thanks, in advance!

I think you should figure out what the radius of convergence ##\rho_0## of the given series is first. The ratio test should work nicely. Then substitute and simplify.
 
Sorry for being unclear, I found the radius of convergence to be [tex]\rho_o=|a|[/tex] using the ratio test, forgot to include that in the opening post. I am unclear as to how I am supposed to figure the behaviour based on this information, the question literally gets me to find the radius of convergence from the series I mentioned and figure the behaviour of the series when [tex]z=-\rho_o[/tex]. I have added an image attachment of the question to clear things up hopefully.
 
Last edited:
Lengalicious said:
Sorry for being unclear, I found the radius of convergence to be [tex]rho_o=|a|[/tex] using the ratio test, forgot to include that in the opening post. I am unclear as to how I am supposed to figure the behaviour based on this information, the question literally gets me to find the radius of convergence from the series I mentioned and figure the behaviour of the series when [tex]z=-\rho[\tex]. I have added an image attachment of the question to clear things up hopefully.[/tex]
[tex] <br /> I THINK they want you to substitute -|a| for x in the series and determine convergence of the resulting series. The result will depend on whether you take 'a' to positive or negative. But the series will simplify a lot in either case. Actually since you posted the original problem, it's safe to assume 'a' is positive.[/tex]
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Dick said:
I THINK they want you to substitute -|a| for x in the series and determine convergence of the resulting series. The result will depend on whether you take 'a' to positive or negative. But the series will simplify a lot in either case.

Yeah, that was my initial thought, just confuses me why the question uses z.. ooh well thanks I can actually get somewhere if I sub a in.
 
Lengalicious said:
Sorry for being unclear, I found the radius of convergence to be [tex]\rho_o=|a|[/tex] using the ratio test, forgot to include that in the opening post. I am unclear as to how I am supposed to figure the behaviour based on this information, the question literally gets me to find the radius of convergence from the series I mentioned and figure the behaviour of the series when [tex]z=-\rho[\tex]. I have added an image attachment of the question to clear things up hopefully.[/tex]
[tex] <br /> You can look at the two series obtained by setting x = a and x = -a (both of which have |x|=a---assuming a > 0).[/tex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Lengalicious said:
Yeah, that was my initial thought, just confuses me why the question uses z.. ooh well thanks I can actually get somewhere if I sub a in.

The use of z instead of x is probably a typo. I'd ignore it. And your series is not complete. It should have an n=0 term. What is it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person