1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Being dense about an Algebra problem

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to show that, given [itex]F \subset E \subset K \subset L[/itex] (K/F is Galois but I don't know how important that is for the part of the problem I'm having trouble with) and a homomorphism [itex]\phi:E \rightarrow L[/itex] that's the identity on F, that [itex]\phi(E) \subset K[/itex].

Edit: Yeah, if it wasn't obvious from the context, those are all supposed to be fields.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So basically all the facts about this I've been able to come up with are that, being a field homomorphism, the map is injective, and that if I have [itex]\alpha \in E-F[/itex] with [itex]\phi(\alpha) \in L-K[/itex], the additive and multiplicative inverses of both [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\phi(\alpha)[/itex] have to be in E-F and L-K respectively. I have a feeling I'm overlooking something really simple, but I just can't get my brain out of the funk to figure out what it is.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    I guess I'll give this a quick bump before I go to bed. Maybe I was wrong about missing something simple and I actually do have to use the Galois condition.

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    Yeah, I hate to keep doing this, but I still haven't figured it out. So I guess I'll try one more time. Sorry to be irritating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?