Bell shrinking due to water pressure

In summary, the bell of diameter 3m and bulk modulus of 14x1010N/m2 is toss into the ocean. By how much did the diameter decrease as it sank to a depth of 10km?
semc
A bell of diameter 3m and bulk modulus of 14x1010N/m2 is toss into the ocean. By how much did the diameter decrease as it sank to a depth of 10km? The bell is assumed to be a sphere of diameter 3m.

Well o what i did was to calculate the pressure at the depth of 10km so P=Po+[tex]\rho[/tex]gh which gives me P=1.0135x105+1000x9.81x10000=9.82x107. Then Bulk modulus=[tex]\frac{P}{V/Vi}[/tex] where V is change in volume and Vi is the initial volume. This gives me change in diameter to be 0.267m however the answer provided is 0.722mm :cry: What is wrong ??

Physics news on Phys.org

Show your calculations.

Hello rl! My working is in the post? Okie i guess my post is too messy haha sorry about that.

Okie here is what i didFirst i calculate the pressure at the depth of 10 km including the atmospheric pressure Po which is taken to be 1.013x105 Pa.

P=Po + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh
P=1.013x105 + 1000 x 9.81 x 10000 = 9.82 x 107 Pa

So using the formula of bulk modulas,

Bulk modulas = [tex]\frac{P}{V/Vi}[/tex]
14x1010=[tex]\frac{P}{V/Vi}[/tex]

Since formula for both volume are the same V/Vi is reduced to r3/ri3 where r is the change in radius and ri is the initial radius.

Using 14x1010=[tex]\frac{P}{V/Vi}[/tex] and the P i found previously, i got the change in radius which is r to be 0.267m

Yup basically that's how i did it :biggrin:

Last edited:

Vi = 4/3*π*R^3
V' = 4/3*π*( R - ΔR )^3
V/Vi = (Vi - V')/Vi = [R^3 - (R-ΔR)^3]/R^3
Expand the brackets and simplify to find V/Vi.

I don't get it. If we are looking for the change in radius why i can't just find the change in volume and from there calculate the change in diameter?

Find the difference in original volume and compressed volume.
Change in volume = Bulk modulus*Pressure* Original volume.

I am assuming you meant Change in volume = Bulk modulus*Pressure*Original volume? How did you get this? From my working I get Change in volume =[tex]\frac{Pressure x Original volume}{Bulk Modulus}[/tex] ??

semc said:
I am assuming you meant Change in volume = Bulk modulus*Pressure*Original volume? How did you get this? From my working I get Change in volume =[tex]\frac{Pressure x Original volume}{Bulk Modulus}[/tex] ??
Yes. You are right. It is typo.

So you mean that's the way to do it? But my answer is different from the answer provided

Show your calculations instead of answer.

I am afraid i don't get you, this is my calculation and i can't figure out what's wrong with this and why do you keep asking me to post this?

[tex]\Delta[/tex]r3=[tex]\frac{9.82*10^7*1.5^3}{140*10^9}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta[/tex]r=0.1333m [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\Delta[/tex]d=0.2666m

Sorry. Your calculation is not correct.
Vi = 4/3π*r^3
Vf = 4/3π*(r - Δr)^3
Chane in volume =ΔV = Vi - Vf = ...?
Then ΔV = P*Vi/B gives you Δr.

ΔV = Vi - Vf
Δr = ri3-rf3
ΔV = P*Vi/B

Vi - Vf = (P/B)*Vi
[tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex][tex]\Pi[/tex](ri3-rf3)=(P/B)[tex]\frac{4}{3}[/tex][tex]\Pi[/tex]ri3

(ri3-rf3)=(P/B)[/tex]ri3
Δr3 = (P/B)ri3
Δr3 = [tex]
\frac{9.82*10^7*1.5^3}{140*10^9}
[/tex]
Δr = 0.133 [tex]
\Rightarrow
[/tex] Δd=0.266

Whats wrong in my calculation?

Δr = (ri - rf)
Δr^3 is not equal to ri^3 - rf^3
In algebra
(a^3 - b^3) = (a - b)(a^2 + ab + b^2)

1. How does water pressure cause a bell to shrink?

Water pressure, also known as hydrostatic pressure, is the force exerted by water on an object. When water pressure is applied to a bell, it compresses the air inside the bell, causing it to shrink in size.

2. What is the effect of the shape of the bell on its shrinking due to water pressure?

The shape of the bell plays a significant role in how it will shrink under water pressure. A bell with a smaller surface area will experience a greater amount of pressure and therefore shrink more compared to a bell with a larger surface area.

3. Does the depth of the water impact the shrinking of the bell due to water pressure?

Yes, the depth of the water does impact the shrinking of the bell. The deeper the water, the greater the water pressure acting on the bell, resulting in more significant shrinking.

4. Can a bell return to its original size after being subjected to water pressure?

Yes, a bell can return to its original size after being subjected to water pressure. When the water pressure is removed, the air inside the bell will expand, causing it to return to its original size.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying bell shrinking due to water pressure?

The study of bell shrinking due to water pressure has practical applications in fields such as engineering and architecture. It can help in designing structures that can withstand water pressure and prevent damage. It is also useful in understanding the effects of water pressure on objects in the ocean, such as submarines and underwater structures.