Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Ben Schumacher - Q. Mech. lectures from 2008. Outdated?

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone.

I am a laymen (with math knowledge) interested in learning about quantum mechanics. I came upon this video series from professor Benjamin Schumacher, which I believe is from 2008. Link: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/quantum-mechanics-the-physics-of-the-microscopic-world.html

My question is, since it seems to me that Q. M. has evolved quite a lot over the last few years - are the lectures series too outdated? If so, do you have any other lecture series to advice?

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I don't know what evolution you're talking about but you can be certain that the fundamentals of the theory are the same. Even quantum mechanics textbooks by Dirac or Landau are hardly called outdated today, let alone some lectures from 2008!

4. Jan 6, 2017 #3
    Thanks!

5. Jan 7, 2017 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Could you explain why do you think that?

6. Jan 12, 2017 #5
    Good thing you asked. To be honest with you, in retrospect, I feel stupid for saying it now. I have heard something about the advancements of some science thingy, but it must have been other fields.

Edit: Advancement is not the right word, but I am sure you know what I mean. I am not a native English speaker, so cannot come up with the desired word at the moment. Cheers

7. Jan 15, 2017 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The development of the foundations of quantum theory was well completed at the end of the 1920ies. Among the best books on QT are Dirac's and Pauli's from the early 1930ies. Concerning QFT, I'd however not recommend reading a book written much earlier than 1975 since only in the late 1960ies with the work by Bogoliubov, Parasiuk, Hepp, and Zimmermann and with the work by 't Hooft and Veltmann on the renormalization of non-Abelian gauge theories in 1971 a full understanding of renormalization has been achieved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted