Ben Schumacher - Q. Mech. lectures from 2008. Outdated?

In summary, a layman interested in learning about quantum mechanics came across a video series by professor Benjamin Schumacher from 2008 and was wondering if it is still relevant given the advancements in the field. However, it is important to note that the fundamentals of quantum mechanics have remained the same and even textbooks from the 1930s are still highly regarded. It is not recommended to read books on quantum field theory written before 1975 due to significant developments in renormalization.
QuantumMechanics
Hello everyone.

I am a laymen (with math knowledge) interested in learning about quantum mechanics. I came upon this video series from professor Benjamin Schumacher, which I believe is from 2008. Link: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/quantum-mechanics-the-physics-of-the-microscopic-world.html

My question is, since it seems to me that Q. M. has evolved quite a lot over the last few years - are the lectures series too outdated? If so, do you have any other lecture series to advice?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what evolution you're talking about but you can be certain that the fundamentals of the theory are the same. Even quantum mechanics textbooks by Dirac or Landau are hardly called outdated today, let alone some lectures from 2008!

Likes clarkvangilder, bhobba and QuantumMechanics
Thanks!

QuantumMechanics said:
since it seems to me that Q. M. has evolved quite a lot over the last few years
Could you explain why do you think that?

Demystifier said:
Could you explain why do you think that?
Good thing you asked. To be honest with you, in retrospect, I feel stupid for saying it now. I have heard something about the advancements of some science thingy, but it must have been other fields.

Edit: Advancement is not the right word, but I am sure you know what I mean. I am not a native English speaker, so cannot come up with the desired word at the moment. Cheers

The development of the foundations of quantum theory was well completed at the end of the 1920ies. Among the best books on QT are Dirac's and Pauli's from the early 1930ies. Concerning QFT, I'd however not recommend reading a book written much earlier than 1975 since only in the late 1960ies with the work by Bogoliubov, Parasiuk, Hepp, and Zimmermann and with the work by 't Hooft and Veltmann on the renormalization of non-Abelian gauge theories in 1971 a full understanding of renormalization has been achieved.

1. What topics were covered in the "Q. Mech. lectures from 2008" by Ben Schumacher?

The lectures covered topics in quantum mechanics, including wave functions, operators, and quantum states. They also discussed applications of quantum mechanics, such as in quantum computing and cryptography.

2. Are the lectures still relevant in 2021?

While some of the specific details and examples may be outdated, the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics covered in the lectures are still relevant and widely applicable in today's scientific research and technology.

3. What is the background of Ben Schumacher, the lecturer?

Ben Schumacher is a renowned physicist and professor at Kenyon College in Ohio. He specializes in the fields of quantum information theory, quantum computing, and quantum cryptography. He has published numerous papers and received numerous awards for his contributions to these fields.

4. Can I access the lectures online?

Yes, the lectures are available for free online through various sources, including the Kenyon College website and YouTube.

5. How long are the lectures?

The lectures vary in length, but on average, they are around an hour each. Some may be shorter or longer, depending on the complexity of the topic being discussed.