Bending of Stainless steel pipe

In summary: Elbows and end fittings are available in several radii. The appropriate radius should be selected based upon the stress intensity factor (SIF) and the flexibility of the material.
gravitate
We have a design of stainless steel pipe with a bend radius of 1.5 The OD of the pipe is 47mm and the wall thickness is 3mm. Can anyone tell me if this is possible please? I am pretty sure the SS is austenitic. I thought that as a rule the minimum radius was 2.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I forgot to say that this is in a nuclear reactor and it is bieng built to ASME b31.3

OK I am really stuck here. Will how the stainless steel is formed effect this at all?

Is the bend radius 1.5 meters? Is that to the centerline of the pipe? Or is that 1.5 times the pipe OD?

Q_Goest said:
Is the bend radius 1.5 meters? Is that to the centerline of the pipe? Or is that 1.5 times the pipe OD?

Hi it is 1.5 th OD of the pipe.

I don't have my copy of ASME B31.3 within arms reach, but there should be sections that correlate stress intensification factors (SIFs) and flexibility to the bend radius of pipe. It also shows up in B31.1 (Power Piping). A larger bend radius will result in a lower SIF and increased flexibility characteristic.

Typically 1x nominal pipe size is considered a "short radius" bend and 1.5x nominal pipe size is a "long radius" bend with regards to piping.

I forgot to suggest that if determining whether or not 1.5xdia was acceptable is under your scope of work, you should really buy a copy of the standard that governs your project. I think ASME sells them for around $250-500.

I think to answer your question, ASME B31.3 doesn't prohibit bending a pipe to any radius as far as I know. For a bend that tight however, the most common approach is to weld in an elbow. I'm not sure if austenitic stainless steel pipe can be bent to that radius or not without compromising the pipe, but I suspect it's possible. The 300 series material is very forgiving. But the pipe will thin on the point furthest from the center of curvature so you should consider derating the pressure accordingly.

There is a simple way of calculating the maximum stresses on a bent pipe with a force applied to it, but I've never had much success with it. The mothod always gives me weird answers. In terms of Australian Standards, I haven't seen any maximum/minimum bend radii either. I just go with 4 times the pipe OD.

Thats great. Well I can get a copy no problem through my company. How would I work out these values though?

I went looking through my old documets and found one that specifies the allowed minimum radii for each pipe OD given the method used to bend it. According to this document, for a 47mm OD pipe, the minimum radius should be limited to 11.1mm and 17.5 for grooved bending tools. So 1.5*OD should be fine.
EDIT: Misread part.

Last edited:
Vadar2012 said:
I went looking through my old documets and found one that specifies the allowed minimum radii for each pipe OD given the method used to bend it. According to this document, for a 47mm OD pipe, the minimum radius should be limited to 11.1mm and 17.5 for grooved bending tools. So 1.5mm seems kinda small.

1xDia = 47mm
1.5xDia=70.5mm

Where did you get 1.5mm from?

1.5mm/47mm=0.032

I don't think anyone is suggesting using 0.032xDia as a bend radius... Maybe we're looking at different dimensions.

Yeah, I miss read it, my bad. I was in a hurry.

Last edited:
I read it as 1.5mm, obviously it was 1.5xOD.

Last edited:
I have a copy of asme b31.3 now so what info do I need?

I'll paraphrase (ie not word for word) two sections from a good reference, Piping Handbook 7th Edition by Mohinder L. Nayyar. The section of the book is an attempt to provide an overview of B31.3 and serve as a basic guide to the design of process piping. Its a thick read, but worth owning as you will digest it section by section over the years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Section C.320 Process Piping Systems: Pressure Design of Piping Componnents: Bends and Elbows:

With regards to pressure design of piping components (in process piping systems)... the minimum required wall thickness at a pipe bend after bending should be determined as for straight pipe. The bend radius is typically a minimum of 3 x nominal diameter, but bends as tight as 1.5 times the diameter are possible with appropriate heat treatment methods.

Elbows that are manufactured in accordance with any of the standards in Table 326.1 of B31.3 are suitable at their rated temperature and pressure. Any elbows made to nominal pipe thickness (like ASME B16.9) are allowed for use with pipe of the same nominal wall thickness.

From Section C.350: Fabrication, Assembly, and Erection of Process Plant Piping: Bending and Forming:

It is allowable to bend a pipe to any radius that will result in bend arc surfaces free of cracks and buckles, but recommended to have bend radii equal to at least 3 times the pipe diameter AND fabricated in accordance with ES-24, Pipe Bending Methods, Tolerances, Process and Material Requirements of the Pipe Fabrication Institute. Tighter bends approaching 1.5 x dia are possible but will probably need heat treatment (induction bending methods).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In summary, you are permitted to bend the pipe to 1.5 x dia. If you don't have the means, you could buy elbows that require welding or bolting. The tighter radius comes with a price in the overall pipe design (stresses/flexibility/constructability). Check out the sections on design and fabrication for your fluid service in B31.3.

1. What is the process of bending stainless steel pipe?

The process of bending stainless steel pipe involves using specialized equipment and tools to bend the pipe to a desired angle or shape. This can be done through cold bending, which uses pressure and force to bend the pipe without heat, or through hot bending, which involves heating the pipe to a malleable temperature and then bending it.

2. How does the bending process affect the properties of stainless steel pipe?

Bending stainless steel pipe can affect its properties in various ways. Cold bending can cause some deformation and strain hardening, while hot bending can change the grain structure and reduce the strength and corrosion resistance of the pipe. It is important to carefully consider the intended use and properties of the pipe before choosing a bending method.

3. What factors should be considered when bending stainless steel pipe?

When bending stainless steel pipe, it is important to consider the material's thickness, diameter, and type (such as austenitic or ferritic). The type of bending method, the amount of bending required, and the intended use of the pipe should also be taken into account. It is recommended to consult with a professional or refer to industry standards for proper bending techniques.

4. Can stainless steel pipe be bent without causing damage?

Yes, stainless steel pipe can be bent without causing damage if proper techniques and equipment are used. Cold bending is generally considered to be less damaging than hot bending, but both methods can be used successfully with the right tools and expertise. It is important to use a bending radius that is appropriate for the pipe's diameter and thickness to avoid any cracking or deformation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when bending stainless steel pipe?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when bending stainless steel pipe. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and eye protection, and following proper bending techniques to avoid injury. It is also important to be aware of the potential hazards of working with hot equipment and to take necessary precautions to prevent burns or other accidents.