Pressure loss to double wall pipe (ventilation)

In summary, The pressure drop across the multi-hole plate is negligible compared to the total pressure drop.
longz
Hi every body,

I need help to calculate the pressure drop to double wall pipe with information as below, i understand need calculate pressure loss to the straight pipe, elbows and supports but I don't know exactly how.

- Fluid : air
- Double wall pipe (stainless steel) with outer pipe OD89mm, wall thickness 3mm, inner pipe OD61mm, wall thickness 2mm. the air will blow into the void between inner and outer pipe
- Pipe distance : 7m.
- Number of 90 degree elbow : 7 pcs
- Number of plastic support to inner pipe : 9 pcs
- Air flow capacity 28 m3/h equivalent 7.8 L/s.

Some drawing for clear view:
1. Double wall pipe section
upload_2017-10-20_8-23-29.png

2. Double wall pipe section with support, the support is obstruction to the air flow similar to orifice.
upload_2017-10-20_8-40-37.png

3. Elbow
upload_2017-10-20_8-55-24.png

Thank every body.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-20_7-51-58.png
    upload_2017-10-20_7-51-58.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 631
  • upload_2017-10-20_8-23-29.png
    upload_2017-10-20_8-23-29.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 802
  • upload_2017-10-20_8-36-59.png
    upload_2017-10-20_8-36-59.png
    22 KB · Views: 686
  • upload_2017-10-20_8-40-37.png
    upload_2017-10-20_8-40-37.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 997
  • upload_2017-10-20_8-55-24.png
    upload_2017-10-20_8-55-24.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 946
Engineering news on Phys.org
Which are you trying to determine, the pressure of the water or the pressure of the air?

Hi Chestermiller,

I need to determine the pressure drop to the air.

Thank

longz said:
Hi Chestermiller,

I need to determine the pressure drop to the air.

Thank
If the air were flowing through a circular pipe, would you know how to get its pressure drop? If so, please describe.

I have no idea, can you provide some instructions ?

thank

longz said:
I have no idea, can you provide some instructions ?

thank
See chapter 7 of Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

I really sorry as I can't get this book, can you advise the specific mathematic formula ?

Hi Chestermiller,

I made a study and draft a calculation to pressure drop but I not sure it is correct 100% or not, can you please have a check and correct me if i was wrong something.

thank

Attachments

• Pressure Loss Calc. sheet.docx
    437.3 KB · Views: 375
longz said:
Hi Chestermiller,

I made a study and draft a calculation to pressure drop but I not sure it is correct 100% or not, can you please have a check and correct me if i was wrong something.

thank
I didn't check your arithmetic, but I can tell you that you have done this exactly the way I would have done it. Very nice work. Kudos!

Chet

Hi Chestermiller,

I found a online calculator exactly same to this matter but the result is quite different in Reynold number (509853 versus with 4988 as mine calc.) caused me confusing, can you please have a look and advise the reason? below is the link of software and information input/output.

http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/index.html

Input calculation

upload_2017-10-29_12-4-51.png

Output calculation

upload_2017-10-29_12-5-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-29_12-3-28.png
    upload_2017-10-29_12-3-28.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 652
  • upload_2017-10-29_12-4-51.png
    upload_2017-10-29_12-4-51.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • upload_2017-10-29_12-5-25.png
    upload_2017-10-29_12-5-25.png
    11 KB · Views: 1,008
longz said:
Hi Chestermiller,

I found a online calculator exactly same to this matter but the result is quite different in Reynold number (509853 versus with 4988 as mine calc.) caused me confusing, can you please have a look and advise the reason? below is the link of software and information input/output.

http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/index.html

Input calculation

View attachment 213951

Output calculation

View attachment 213952
In their calculation output, the viscosity used looks too low by a factor of 100.

Hi Chestermiller,

Thank for advices, you are correct. I changed the value of the viscosity and the software output similar to mine calc.

To pressure drop of inner pipe support ring, could you please advise some instructions ? I considering this is multi-hole orifices plate but the point is the holes is not same and have multi plates on the pipe route. I don't know how to start the calculation.

longz said:
Hi Chestermiller,

Thank for advices, you are correct. I changed the value of the viscosity and the software output similar to mine calc.

To pressure drop of inner pipe support ring, could you please advise some instructions ? I considering this is multi-hole orifices plate but the point is the holes is not same and have multi plates on the pipe route. I don't know how to start the calculation.
In a case like this, you have to use your best judgment as to whether the multi-hole is adequate. Compared to the total pressure drop, how much does the pressure drop across the plate matter?

Laminar iso 1.png

Simple CFD analysis using the default laminar flow model in OpenFoam .

5 m/sec uniform air velocity at inlet . Zero pressure (gauge) at outlet . Air flows from left to right .

So roughly 110 Pa pressure drop per support plate . Almost nothing really and certainly negligible .
laminar-ortho.png

pipe an support v4.png

Attachments

• Laminar iso 1.png
    Laminar iso 1.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 574
  • laminar-ortho.png
    laminar-ortho.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 543
  • pipe an support v4.png
    pipe an support v4.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 524
Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the purpose of using double wall pipe for ventilation?

Double wall pipe is used for ventilation to provide an extra layer of protection against leaks or damage to the inner pipe. It also helps to maintain the temperature and pressure of the air being transported.

2. How does pressure loss occur in double wall pipe for ventilation?

Pressure loss in double wall pipe occurs due to friction between the walls, as well as turbulence caused by changes in direction or velocity of the air flow. This can result in a decrease in air pressure and flow rate.

3. How is pressure loss calculated in double wall pipe for ventilation?

Pressure loss in double wall pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the length and diameter of the pipe, as well as the flow rate and properties of the air. Other factors such as fittings or obstructions in the pipe may also need to be considered.

4. What are some factors that can affect pressure loss in double wall pipe for ventilation?

The main factors that can affect pressure loss in double wall pipe include the length and diameter of the pipe, air flow rate, and any obstructions or fittings in the pipe. Other factors such as temperature and humidity may also play a role.

5. How can pressure loss be minimized in double wall pipe for ventilation?

To minimize pressure loss in double wall pipe, it is important to choose the right diameter and length of pipe, as well as optimizing the air flow rate and minimizing obstructions. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to identify any issues that may be causing pressure loss.