Pressure of Slurry in a Stainless Steel Pipe

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
stevenkyle96
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am trying to find the pressure in a ANSI stainless steel pipe with a nominal diameter of 10 in. A slurry of fiberglass and water is flowing through the pipe that has a viscosity of 3.2 centipoise. The flow rate through the pipe is approximately 3000 GPM.

How can I figure out the pressure in this pipe?

If it is not possible to figure out the pressure with the above information. What is the pressure assuming the fluid flowing through the pipe is water at 3000 GPM?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Best you can get with the given data is a pressure drop per unit of length. To find an absolute pressure, more info is needed.
 
You do not provide enough information. The "pressure in the pipe" could be anything, it depends on what is pushing the flow along.

You have almost enough info to predict the pressure loss in the pipe. I think if you gave the density you might be able to estimate the psi loss over 100 ft of pipe, for instance, for the case of water. I haven't ever done calculations for "slurries" -- maybe someone else here could help with that.

EDIT: looks like I was typing while @BvU was finishing up
2nd EDIT: also, 10" nominal does not provide enough info on the pipe. You'd need the schedule, or pipe internal diameter.
 
My 16th Edition of Cameron Hydraulic Data has pressure loss information for viscous liquids and for paper stock. If your slurry consists of fiberglass fibers in water, then the paper stock information might be useful. Maybe. The trends (pressure loss vs velocity and % solids) should be of some use. I would not expect to be able to get useful results for pressure loss because there are too many differences that affect the flow. I see there is a copy of the 16th Edition posted online.

Assuming the fiberglass is in the form of loose fibers, then a key variable is the fiber length.

Slurries are a challenge, Your best option is to take some measurements and develop a design chart for your specific slurry.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: stevenkyle96 and jim mcnamara