1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli, Poisson & Normal Probability

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Bernoulli, Poisson & Normal Probability

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Every chocolate bar contains 100 squares, with 10% of the individual squares presenting a health hazard to people consuming them.

(a) Using the Binomial, Poisson and Normal distributions, write down formulas for
    the probability that a single chocolate bar has at least 3 but no more than 7 deadly
    squares.

The attempt at a solution

For the binomial part, I've just done Pr(x=3) + Pr(x=4) +.... Pr(x=7). Just wondering if that's what you would do?

I've done the same for the Poisson, using μ = 10.

I'm stuck on Normal distribution though.
    I'm thinking of using
    [​IMG]
    but I don't know σ.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can look at this as a Bernoulli for each individual square with p=0.1 and q=0.9; then variance = pq for each square. That would be the first approximation. Then you need to formulate a way around the problem that squares in a given bar are mutually dependent; e.g. if you know the first 90 are safe then you know that the remaining 10 are deadly. At least that's how I interpret your question.

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    Hmm, what do you suggest? I realise it's not as simple as the bernoulli and poisson where you can just add up the individual Pr's....

5. Sep 12, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I re-read the question I realized that the question does not imply a dependence. If there can be as few as 3 deadly squares, then knowing that 90 are safe does not tell me the remaining 10 are deadly. This makes it much easier. Under binomial, mean = np = 10 and variance = npq = 9, which you can apply to a normal distribution.

6. Sep 12, 2007 #5
    Yeah so std dev is 3, mean is 10
    I just slap it into the above formula? Initially I thought I should integrate from 3 to 7, but it seems as though I should be doing from 2.5 to 7.5? Does this sound correct?

7. Sep 13, 2007 #6
    edit: im totally confused for normal dist now. Am I supposed to integrate at all or do I just use the formula I posted near the top? I mean to integrate that massive thing even though I know std dev and mean is out of my scope. Am I even on the right track?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  8. Sep 13, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The normal approximation to the binomial distribution for given p (q= 1-p) and n has mean pn and standard deviation [itex]\sqrt{np(1-p)}[/itex]. Use those in your formula for the standard z-score, and find the probability that x is between 2.5 and 7.5. (That's the "integer correction")

9. Sep 13, 2007 #8
    Can you guide me through it? I'm so damn lost.

10. Sep 13, 2007 #9
    So basically...

[​IMG]

11. Sep 13, 2007 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct; except the left hand side is FX(7.5) - FX(2.5).

12. Sep 13, 2007 #11
    Thanks a bunch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?