Basic probability aeroplane engines problem

In summary, an aeroplane with four engines can fly if at least two engines are working. The probability of completing a journey without any engine failures is 0.9963.
danmanchester
Hi all, I've got a past paper question that goes something like this:

An aeroplane has four engines. During a certain journey, each engine fails with a probability of 0.1, independantly of the others. The aeroplane can fly when at least two engines are working. Calculate:

A) The probability that the aeroplane will complete the journey.
B) The probability that the aeroplane will complete four journeys with no engine failures. State clearly any assumptions you make.

Ok so I've decided this is a binomial distribution problem; for part A) I have assigned X to be the r.v. "number of engines failing" where X~B(4,0.1).

I'm looking for Pr(X ≤ 2) = 1 - (Pr(X = 3) + Pr(X = 4))
= 1 - (4C3X0.1^3X0.9 + 4C4X0.1^4)
= 1 - 3.7 x 10^-3
= 0.9963 (which as far as answers go, seems relatively plausible?).

As for part B), I have absolutely no ideas! If someone would be so kind as to assist it'd be much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
danmanchester said:
As for part B), I have absolutely no ideas!

Start by finding the probability of one journey with no engine failures.

danmanchester said:
Hi all, I've got a past paper question that goes something like this:

An aeroplane has four engines. During a certain journey, each engine fails with a probability of 0.1, independantly of the others. The aeroplane can fly when at least two engines are working. Calculate:

A) The probability that the aeroplane will complete the journey.
B) The probability that the aeroplane will complete four journeys with no engine failures. State clearly any assumptions you make.

Ok so I've decided this is a binomial distribution problem; for part A) I have assigned X to be the r.v. "number of engines failing" where X~B(4,0.1).

I'm looking for Pr(X ≤ 2) = 1 - (Pr(X = 3) + Pr(X = 4))
= 1 - (4C3X0.1^3X0.9 + 4C4X0.1^4)
= 1 - 3.7 x 10^-3
= 0.9963 (which as far as answers go, seems relatively plausible?).

As for part B), I have absolutely no ideas! If someone would be so kind as to assist it'd be much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Dan

In B): what is the probability that in any single trip none of the engines fail? What would this become for 4 trips?

Thanks for the replies guys. So, for one journey the probability that no engines fail is given by:

Pr(X = 0) = 4C0X0.9^4 = 0.6561

And so for four journeys, 0.6561^4 = 0.185? This seems a little bit of an unrealistic figure?

danmanchester said:
This seems a little bit of an unrealistic figure?

Yes, because the assumption that the engine failure rate per flight os 0.1 is unrealistic. The actual rate for modern jet engines is of the order of 1 failure per 100,000 hours. Even for 10 hour long haul flights, that is a probability of about 0.0001 per flight, not 0.1.

Likes 1 person
Hi Aleph, thanks for the clarification!

danmanchester said:
Thanks for the replies guys. So, for one journey the probability that no engines fail is given by:

Pr(X = 0) = 4C0X0.9^4 = 0.6561

And so for four journeys, 0.6561^4 = 0.185? This seems a little bit of an unrealistic figure?

I echo the remarks of AlephZero: it is the 0.1 figure that is unrealistic. Would you want to fly in a plane that had only a 99.6% probability of not crashing? But, given p = 0.1 the answer you got is understandable: it is like having a 16-engine plane and asking that none of the engines fail.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
it is like having a 16-engine plane and asking that none of the engines fail.

That general principle applies in real life to 2 and 4 engined planes. Other things being equal, you are twice as likely to have an engine failure with 4 engines than with 2. But the consequence of 1 engine failure out of 4 is likely to be less serious than 1 out of 2, so it's not a clear-cut decision whether 2 or 4 engines is "best" for all plane designs.

Also, the question assumes the engine failures are independent of each other, and that is not necessarily true either. Running out of fuel, or flying into a flock of birds big enough to cause engine damage, are two examples where it is false.

1. What is the basic probability aeroplane engines problem?

The basic probability aeroplane engines problem is a mathematical challenge that involves calculating the probability of all engines on a multi-engine aircraft failing during a flight. It is commonly used in risk assessment and safety analysis for commercial airlines.

2. How is the probability of engine failure determined?

The probability of engine failure is determined by considering various factors such as the age and maintenance history of the engines, the weather conditions during the flight, and the overall safety record of the airline. These factors are used to calculate the likelihood of an engine failure during a flight.

3. What is the likelihood of all engines failing during a flight?

The likelihood of all engines failing during a flight is extremely low and is considered a rare event. The exact probability varies depending on the factors mentioned above, but it is typically less than one in a million for commercial airlines with well-maintained aircraft.

4. How is the probability of engine failure used in aviation safety?

The probability of engine failure is an important factor in aviation safety as it helps airlines and regulatory agencies make informed decisions about maintenance and safety procedures. It also allows for risk assessment and contingency planning in case of an engine failure during a flight.

5. Are there any steps taken to mitigate the risk of engine failure during a flight?

Yes, airlines and regulatory agencies have strict maintenance protocols in place to regularly inspect and repair aircraft engines. Additionally, pilots are trained to handle emergency situations such as engine failure and have backup procedures in place to ensure the safety of passengers and crew in the event of an engine failure.