Bernoulli trial summation by hand

In summary, you can use the binomial theorem to expand the expression and then use the fact that the sum of the probabilities of all possible outcomes is equal to 1 to simplify the expression and obtain the desired result of <x> = np.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

Show that the expected number of successes in n Bernoulli trials w probability p of success is <x> = np

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I get the right answer which is this: [tex]E\left( x\right) =\sum _{x=0}^{n}x\left( \begin{matrix} n\\ x\end{matrix} \right) p^{x}\left( 1-p\right) ^{n-x}[/tex]

I know it's right, though, because I inputted it into wolframalpha and get <x> = np.

My question is how do I try to sum this by hand. I really have no idea where to start and I'm curious as to how this is done. Do I maybe use Stirling's formula to simplify the C(n, x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
excellent, thanks!

eprparadox said:

Homework Statement

Show that the expected number of successes in n Bernoulli trials w probability p of success is <x> = np

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I get the right answer which is this: [tex]E\left( x\right) =\sum _{x=0}^{n}x\left( \begin{matrix} n\\ x\end{matrix} \right) p^{x}\left( 1-p\right) ^{n-x}[/tex]

I know it's right, though, because I inputted it into wolframalpha and get <x> = np.

My question is how do I try to sum this by hand. I really have no idea where to start and I'm curious as to how this is done. Do I maybe use Stirling's formula to simplify the C(n, x)?

This was already answered for you in another thread: see post #5 in your thread on the expected number of 5's in tossing a die.

1. What is Bernoulli trial summation by hand?

Bernoulli trial summation by hand is a method used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a series of independent trials. It involves adding up the individual probabilities of each possible outcome.

2. Why is it important to understand Bernoulli trial summation by hand?

Understanding Bernoulli trial summation by hand is important for scientists because it allows them to accurately calculate the probability of a particular event occurring in a series of independent trials. This can be useful in various fields such as statistics, biology, and economics.

3. What is the formula for Bernoulli trial summation by hand?

The formula for Bernoulli trial summation by hand is P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success for each trial.

4. How do you perform Bernoulli trial summation by hand?

To perform Bernoulli trial summation by hand, you need to follow these steps:

1. Determine the number of trials (n), the number of successes (x), and the probability of success (p).
  2. Use the formula P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x) to calculate the probability of each possible outcome.
  3. Add up the probabilities of all the desired outcomes to get the total probability.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli trial summation by hand?

Bernoulli trial summation by hand has various real-world applications, such as predicting the success rate of a new drug in clinical trials, estimating the likelihood of winning a game of chance, or determining the probability of a certain disease occurring in a population. It is also commonly used in quality control and market research to calculate the probability of a defective product or the success of a new product launch.