Bernoulli's Equation to find a depth

In summary, a perfectly spherical golf ball with a specific gravity of 0.55 is dropped from a height of 10 m above a smooth lake. Neglecting any frictional losses or energy transferred to the water, the maximum depth to which the ball will sink is 3.6149 m, calculated using the free fall velocity of 14 m/s and Bernoulli's equation.
awertag

Homework Statement

A perfectly spherical golf ball with a specific gravity of 0.55 is dropped from a height of 10 m above the surface of a smooth lake. Determine the maximum depth to which the ball will sink. Neglect any frictional loses or energy transferred to the water during impact and sinking.

Homework Equations

P=pressure ρ=density h or Y=depth g=9.8 Patmospheric=1.01e3 V=velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I got velocity =14 m/s with free fall first. Then I did Bernoulli's.

P1 + ρgY1 + .5ρ(V1^2) = P2 + ρgY2 + .5ρ(V2^2)

1.01e3 + [STRIKE]ρg(0)[/STRIKE] +.5(550)(14^2) = (1000)(9.8)(h)+(550)(9.8)(h) + [STRIKE].5(ρ)(0)[/STRIKE]

54910 = (1000)(9.8)(h) +(550)(9.8)(h)

h = 3.6149 m

I would really really appreciate help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
errr why do you think you have to use Bernoulli's equation here ? I don't think it has any application here.

Oh never mind, I got the answer. Thanks for replying though! :) have a great day

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a steady flow.

2. How is Bernoulli's Equation used to find depth?

Bernoulli's Equation can be used to find depth by equating the pressures at two different points along a streamline and solving for the unknown depth variable.

3. What are the assumptions made when using Bernoulli's Equation?

The assumptions made when using Bernoulli's Equation include a steady flow, incompressible fluid, and negligible viscosity and friction.

4. Can Bernoulli's Equation be used for all types of fluids?

No, Bernoulli's Equation is only applicable for incompressible fluids such as water or air at low speeds. It does not hold true for compressible fluids or high-speed flows.

5. How is Bernoulli's Equation derived?

Bernoulli's Equation is derived from the principle of conservation of energy, where the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.