1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bernoulli equation (watering can)

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! Here is a classical Bernoulli problem, which I'd like you to review to check if I (finally!) make a proper use of Bernoulli's equation!

A gardener waters a bush with the help of a watering can (see attached pic). The water level in the can lays at height H = 1m, and the water flows horizontally out of the can at height h.
    a) at which distance x from the bush must the water flow when the mouth of the can is located at h = 0.8m, in order for the water to reach the bush?
    b) for which height h is x maximum? (we consider H is constant)

2. Relevant equations

Bernoulli equation, free fall and maybe a little bit of derivative?

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I get the point of the problem, but I often get confused :biggrin: Hopefully this time I get it right:

a) I first set up a Bernoulli equation between points (0) (behavior at height H) and (1) (mouth of the can at height h):

ρg(H - h) = ½⋅ρ⋅v12
    (Here I considered P0 = P1 = 0 at gauge pressure, v0 = 0 and h the reference height)
    ⇔ v1 = √(2⋅g⋅(H - h)) = √(0.4⋅g)

Now from basic equations of motion I know:

horizontal displacement: x = v1⋅t
    vertical displacement: -h = -½⋅g⋅t2

I solve for t using the second equation and get:

t = √(2h/g)

...and substitute it in the first one:

x = v1⋅t = √(0.8⋅h) = 0.8m

Is that correct?

b) Here I used the equation I found for velocity in a):

x = v⋅t = √(2g⋅(H - h))⋅√(2h/g) = 2√(hH - h2)

Here I wasn't sure what I should do so I simply took the derivative of (hH - h2) with respect to h and solved for which h it is equal to 0 (that is, when the function reaches a local critical point):

f'(h) = (hH - h2)' = H - 2h
    f'(h) = 0 ⇔ h = ½⋅H = 0.5 m

Does that make sense? I get x = 1m, which is at least indeed bigger than in a). I'm sure there is also an easier method to get that result, but I couldn't figure it out yet. Any idea?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers, I appreciate it.

Julien.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

All looks good, well done.

4. Mar 29, 2016 #3
    @haruspex thank you, that is definitely thanks to your huge help! :) I hope this post can help other people too!

Julien.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted