Bernoulli's Equation (Water Outflow Speed of Tank)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Von Neumann
Messages
101
Reaction score
4
Problem:

Suppose the top of a tank is sealed and pressurized to twice atmospheric pressure. What is the speed of the liquid emerging from a small hole at the base of the tank?


My Solution:

Using Bernoulli's Equation, and assuming v_top ≈ 0,

P_top + 1/2*ρ*v_top^2 + ρgh = P_hole + 1/2*ρ*v_hole^2 + ρg*0

2*P_a + ρgh = P_a + 1/2*ρ*v_hole^2

Solving for v_hole I get,

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2(P_{a}+ρgh)}{ρ}}[/itex]

While my book has,

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2P_{a}}{ρ+gh}}[/itex]

Anyone know where I went wrong? Or, less likely, if my text is incorrect? Thank you in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The text is incorrect. The sum in the denominator is impossible, the units of the addends do not match.
 
Oh wow, I'm foolish for not thinking of that myself. My units come out to be the correct units of velocity.