Bernstein's Polynomials for f(x)=x and f(x)=x^2: Sequence and Formula

  • Thread starter Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Polynomial
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Artusartos
Messages
236
Reaction score
0
Find the sequence [itex](B_nf)[/itex] of Bernstein's polynomials in

a) f(x)=x and

b) [itex]f(x)=x^2[/itex]

Answers (from my textbook):

a) [itex]B_nf(x) = x[/itex] for all n.

b) [itex]B_nf(x) = x^2 + \frac{1}{n} x (1-x)[/itex]

I know that the bernstein's polynomial is:

[itex]B_nf(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n f (\frac{k}{n}) \binom{n}{k} x^k (1-x)^{n-k}[/itex]

...but I don't know how they got the answer from this...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you used that formula to calculate, say, B0 through B5 for f(x)= x and f(x)= x2? That should give you an idea.
 
HallsofIvy said:
Have you used that formula to calculate, say, B0 through B5 for f(x)= x and f(x)= x2? That should give you an idea.

But how can I calculate [tex]B_0[/tex]? If I say n=0, then

[itex]B_nf(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n f (\frac{k}{0}) \binom{0}{k} x^k (1-x)^{0-k}[/itex]

So f(k/0) is undefined?
 
Sorry. Clearly "B0" is not defined so calculate B1, B2, etc.

For example, with f(x)= x,
[tex]B_1(x)= f(0)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}x^0(1- x)^1+ f(1)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}x^1(1- x)^0= 0(1- x)+ 1x= x[/tex]