Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Berry phase in degenerare case

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    Is there anyone familiar with berry phase?

Wilczek and Zee have a classic paper PRL 52_2111

I can not understand their equation (6)

I can not see why the first equality should hold

\eta_a and \eta_b should be orthogonal to each other, but why should \eta_b be orthogonal to the time derivative of \eta_a ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

hmmm... yeah. compare this to the usual berry's phase case where U_{ab} is just a number e^{i\gamma} (e.g., in Sakurai "Modern Quantum Mechanics" p. 465). in that case we have
    \frac{d}{dt} (e^{i\gamma(t)} n(t))=0
    where the time dependence in the n(t) (analogous to the \psi_a(t) in the Zee paper) is due to the changing parameter so that
    0=i\frac{d \gamma}{dt} e^{i\gamma} n + e^{i\gamma} \frac{d n}{dt}
    =i\frac{d\gamma}{dt} e^{i\gamma} n + e^{i\gamma} \frac{d \vec \lambda}{dt} \cdot \nabla_{(\lambda)} n
    so that (now using normalizaiton of n)
    i\frac{d\gamma}{dt} + \frac{d \vec\lambda}{dt}\cdot (n,\nabla n)=0

I guess, the Zee paper is just generalizing this to the case where instead of
    \eta_a = e^{i\gamma}\psi_a
    with just a number for proportionality there is a matrix

I'm sure this isn't all too helpful, but maybe some other people will have more to say. cheers.
  4. Apr 30, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot!

I read Simon's classic paper (PRL 51,2167), and i guess the equation in question reflects the parallel transport

similar eqaution also appears in Simon's paper (on the second page, left upper part)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?