1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beryllium atom in a weak magnetic field

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data and attempt at a solution
    Considering that the ground state of the beryllium atom is [itex]2s^2[/itex] and the first excited state is [itex]2s2p[/itex], I was wondering in how many lines would the emission/absorption spectrum be modified in a weak magnetic field.
    I know that if there's no magnetic field, only "1" frequency/wavelength will be emitted/absorbed.
    In order for a weak magnetic field to change this, there would need to have the denegeration of the quantum numbers [itex]m_j[/itex]'s to be eradicated. This is so because in the presence of a weak magnetic field, [itex]\Delta E = \mu _B g_L m_j B_{\text {weak}}[/itex].

So for the ground state, the outer 2 electrons are in a subshell that can contain at most 2 electrons, therefore it is filled entirely. Thus in this case [itex]J=|l+s|[/itex] where [itex]l=0[/itex] and s=0. s=0 because [itex]s=\sum m_s =1/2-1/2[/itex] thanks to Pauli exclusion's principle. Thus in this case [itex]J=0[/itex], hence [itex]m_j=0[/itex]. The ground state won't be affected by any weak magnetic field.

Now for the first excited state, 2s2p. There's 1 electron in the shubshell 2s, half filled. So that [itex]J=|l-s|[/itex] where [itex]l=0[/itex] and s=1/2. This makes [itex]J=1/2[/itex].
    For the outer electron, it is in a subshell that can contains up to 6 electrons, thus again [itex]J=|l-s|[/itex], where this time [itex]l=1[/itex] and s=1/2. This makes [itex]J=1/2[/itex]. So that the total angular momentum [itex]J=1/2+1/2=1[/itex]. This would make [itex]m_j[/itex] going from -1 to 1, passing by 0. In this case it seems that the first excited state gets splitted into 3 energy levels (one of which was the one without any magnetic field) when we apply a weak magnetic field.
    So that all in all there would be a 3 spetrum "lines" or frequencies/wavelengths if we apply a weak B field (let's say 1 tesla at most).

However my friend told me that there's no splitting at all when there's a weak magnetic field. I wonder where I went wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Do you guys have any idea on my "error"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook