1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bessel function, what does the notation in this function mean?

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have come across the following equation and want to know what the notation means exactly:

[tex]\frac{-2 \pi \gamma}{\sigma} \frac{[ber_2(\gamma)ber'(\gamma) + bei_2(\gamma)bei'(\gamma)]}{[ber^2(\gamma) + bei_2(\gamma)]}[/tex]

Now, I know ber is related to bessel functions. For example, I think ber is the real part of the Bessel function of first kind, and bei might be the imaginary part? I assume ber' is the derivative

Could someone possibly explain what each of the bei ber parts are?

I ultimately will want to calculate this formula in Matlab. Matlab's bessel function can apparently return different orders of the bessel function, should I be using anything other than order 1? does the subscripted 2 in the formula indicate order 2 should be used for instance? Alternatively, should I be using multiple orders and summing the results or something like this to improve accuracy?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

4. Jul 10, 2012 #3
    ok, I was about to say that I'd already seen this and it didn't answer my questions, but on closer reading, I suppose it does actually.

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook