1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum formula for the modified Bessel function

1. Jun 1, 2015 #1
    Hi, everybody. Mathematic handbooks have given a sum formula for the modified Bessel function of the second kind as follows
    NumberedEquation1.gif
    I have tried to evaluate this formula. When z is a real number, it gives a result identical to that computed by the 'besselk ' function in MATLAB. However, when z is a complex number, the two results don't agree. What's wrong? Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Hi Hanyu,
    I looked into some other series expansions, and found this one...from wolfram.com. It looks almost exactly like the one you were using above except for the ##I_n(z)## in your post was replaced by another sum formula.
    upload_2015-6-2_16-47-19.png

Using this in matlab, I was able to get the same results as besselk for a sample of real and imaginary points.
    So...I would look into the requirements for the function ##I_n(z)## that you were using to see if there are complications from the imaginary input.

Below is how I input it into matlab:
    [\code]
    function A=Kest(n,z);
    expand = 10;
    sum1 = 0;
    for k = 0 :expand
    sum1 = sum1 + (z/2)^(2*k)/factorial(k)/factorial(k+n);
    end
    term1 = (-1)^(n-1)*log(z/2)*(z/2)^n*sum1;

sum2 = 0;
    %if n==0
    %else
    for k = 0:n-1
    sum2 = sum2+(-1)^k*factorial(n-k-1)/factorial(k)*(z/2)^(2*k);
    end
    %end
    term2 = sum2*1/2*(z/2)^(-n);

sum3 = 0;
    for k = 0 :expand
    sum3 = sum3 + (psi(k+1)+psi(k+n+1))/factorial(k)/factorial(k+n)*(z/2)^(2*k);
    end
    term3 = sum3*(-1)^n/2*(z/2)^n;
    A = term1+term2+term3;
    [/code]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook