1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bessel's Eq. of order 0 and solution help

1. Dec 12, 2005 #1
    Hello all,
    I'm studying for my diff/eq final, and I am having a lot of trouble understanding the answer to a question involving Bessel's equation of order 3/2. So, here's the question. please help::::::

The following question concerns Bessel's Equation:

The Bessel Function [tex]J_{3/2}(x)[/tex] is the Frobenius series solution which is finite at x = 0 Find the first three terms in its series expansion around x = 0.
    Ok, so I have the definition of the Bessel Function as:

[tex]J_r(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_nx^{n+r}, a_0=1[/tex]

where 'r' is the root of the indicial equation:

The answer to this question says::

I don't know how they changed the [tex]a_0,a_1,a_2,...[/tex] values to those numbers right there.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2
    just insert the series [itex]J_{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] on your O.D.E. The only way the equality will hold is if all the therms on the O.D.E. are zero. That will give you a condition over the [itex]a_n[/itex]'s.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  4. Dec 13, 2005 #3
    thx, Just one more question...

thanks, incognitO. That actually helped me put things together. I just had one more question:::

why does the term [tex]a_0[/tex] = 1??

Is it just part of the definition of the Bessel Function, or something else?
  5. Dec 13, 2005 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definition, if memory serves me correctly, the terms alternate. You can find the solution in terms of [tex] a_{n+2} = f(n)a_{n} [/tex].
  6. Dec 13, 2005 #5
    in series solutions with recurrence relations as the type mentioned by Dr Transport, is costumary to choose [itex]a_0=1[/itex], [itex]a_1=0[/itex] to find the first independent solution and then [itex]a_0=0[/itex] and [itex]a_1=1[/itex] to find the second independent solution. In the case of your Bessel function, this is not necesary scince [itex]J_{-3/2}[/itex] is also a solution. So the choice of [itex]a_0=1[/itex] comes from definition, wich makes Bessel functions special functions.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  7. Dec 15, 2005 #6

Thanks incognitO, and Dr Transport. Really helped me with the understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?