1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best background for accelerator physics

1. Dec 13, 2013 #1
    Hello!
    In next year I'm going to be a freshman on Czech Technical University (well, maybe, it is not final decision). My dream was always to "make that accelerators". Now, I'm stuck. So, what is the best Bc. degree for prospective Accelerator Physicist?
    1. Experimental Particle and Nuclear Physics
    2. Electrical Engineering

And what about MS? PhD? I think there are some accelerator physicist guys, so I want to hear some advices from you! :)

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

An accelerator is a machine!
    It has electrical,mechanical and computer parts and other things that all machines have.But regarding its specific use,its physical.
    No one's going to build an accelerator alone,so everyone will do the job which is suited for.So it depends what do you want to do among the things needed to build an accelerator and then you can decide what you should study.
    I can only say,if you want a major which is going to tell you how those accelerators work,you should get at least a graduate degree in particle physics.

4. Dec 13, 2013 #3
    So, if i understand well:
    Bc. - Electrical Engineering
    Ms. (hope moving to Stanford or other university in US) - Particle Physics
    PhD. - Accelerator Physics programme

5. Dec 13, 2013 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

No. If you want to go the doctorate route you should also major in physics.

6. Dec 13, 2013 #5
    I'm scared about choosing major Physics. Because, what if I don't find a job in physics? But, on the other side, I read an article in symmetry magazine, that accelerator physicists are on demand in the USA and world. So, after all, I'm confused. :confused:

7. Dec 13, 2013 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

8. Dec 13, 2013 #7
    ZapperZ, what would you recommend me then?

9. Dec 13, 2013 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re-read my post! Did you miss the last line completely?

Zz.

10. Dec 13, 2013 #9

esuna

Gold Member

Electricity and Magnetism courses are extremely important for accelerator physics, which is why physics is probably the recommended major. Perhaps electrical engineers study those as well but I know for sure at my university EEs don't specifically take E&M I-II. Maybe it is studied in different ways in EE but I don't know much about EE programs.

Do Optics & Lasers or Solid State Physics have any significance to accelerator physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook