Best book to keep as reference for python?

In summary, the cartoon is a story about programmers trying to one up each other. The cosmic rays story is how small changes can result in catastrophic effects. The ultimate one up is the butterfly effect from chaos theory and then the cosmic rays flipping a bit to produce the result only to get back to emacs already having that capability.
shivajikobardan
TL;DR Summary
book for python with exercises and as a reference
1) Basic python only no data science or machine learning or game development.
2) I have CS experience and some programming experience but I am really bad programmer, so you can discount my programming experience. But I can learn cs concepts on the go.
3) Contains lots of solved and unsolved exercises.

Technology news on Phys.org
You can checkout RosettaCode.org for many tasks to write in Python. In addition, there are examples of python code to compare your code to once you complete a task.

shivajikobardan said:
I missed my point. I want sth like a python textbook that has lots of exercises solved and unsolved. Not actually for a reference.
There are sets of solved and unsolved problems here: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electri...-science-and-programming-in-python-fall-2016/

It is probably worth looking at all the materials on that course (which are provided under an open source license by MIT), they might be just what you want. I believe this course uses the Spyder IDE, which is provided as part of the Anaconda distribution, another good way to get started if you are on Windows.

pbuk said:
what's the meaning of this? Pardon if I can't restart an old thread.

This cartoon is a mashup of programmer lore where each programmer tries to one up the other.

I once saw a programmer using vi on unix to do some edits and asked why he didnt use the supereditor Emacs withh all its cool functionality and lisplike macros.

He said simply vi is everywhere ie it is on every unix platform whereas emacs is optional so why learn an editor that may not be installed.

The butterfly effect is how small changes can result in catastrophic effects.

The cosmic rays story was a discovery that those random bit flips that some computers inexplicably experienced were a result of cosmic rays.

The ultimate one up was the butterfly effect from chaos theory and then the cosmic rays flipping a bit to produce the result only to get back to emacs already having that capability.

There used to be a one up styled show where contestants would challenge one another in naming a song. One would say i can name it in six notes and another would say i can name it in five notes.

Finally, someone would say name that song and they'd play the first n notes. The winner was the one who named the song.

Likes pbuk

1. What makes a book the best reference for learning Python?

The best book for learning Python should cover all the essential concepts and features of the language in a clear and concise manner. It should also provide practical examples and exercises to help the reader apply their knowledge. Additionally, a good reference should be regularly updated to reflect any changes or updates in the language.

2. Are there any specific books that are highly recommended for learning Python?

Some popular and highly recommended books for learning Python include "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes, "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" by Al Sweigart, and "Learn Python 3 the Hard Way" by Zed Shaw. However, the best book for you may depend on your learning style and goals.

3. Can beginners use a reference book for learning Python?

Absolutely! While some books may be targeted towards more advanced users, there are also many beginner-friendly options available. Look for books that have a clear and organized structure, and provide explanations and examples that are easy to follow.

4. Is it necessary to have a physical book as a reference for learning Python?

No, it is not necessary to have a physical book. There are many online resources and e-books available for learning Python. However, having a physical book can be helpful for some learners as it allows for easy note-taking and reference without the need for a computer or internet connection.

5. Can a reference book be used as the sole resource for learning Python?

While a good reference book can provide a solid foundation for learning Python, it is always recommended to supplement your learning with other resources such as online tutorials, videos, and practice exercises. This will help you gain a better understanding of the language and its practical applications.