Best books on electromagnetism, electricity and magnetism?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
christian0710
Messages
407
Reaction score
8
Hi, I'm looking for some great books clearly explaining how electricity, magnetism and electromagnetism Works.
I'm also looking for some books describing how it was discovered and what experiments have been performed in discovering how it Works,.

So Far I've looked at
Electromagnetism: Principles and Applications - Paul Lorrain 1979
Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism - Arthur Kipp (1962)
Magnetism: A Very Short Introduction - 2012 Stephen J.


I'm working on learning calculus, and looking for a good book on classical mechanics as well :)

I'd love some help finding some great books on this subject.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your level of knowledge on the subject? How much mathematical knowledge do you have?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: christian0710
axmls said:
What's your level of knowledge on the subject? How much mathematical knowledge do you have?

At the moment I have very Little knowledge on the subject, and know a bit of calculus, I just bought some books on calculus. I have close to no understanding of how the experiments Work and what rules/theories could be derived from the experiments that are made.
 
Have you had any mechanics courses--i.e. A first course in calculus-based physics?
 
axmls said:
Have you had any mechanics courses--i.e. A first course in calculus-based physics?
Actually not. I'd love to find a great book on that subject to. I don't know what classical mechanics book or Calculusbased- physics is good to get since there are so many to choose between. I love the books that are clear and asy to understand and give great epxplanations.
 
I recommend that. Any first course in electromagnetism will assume you know about mechanics. We used Halliday and Resnick at my school, so you can check that out, but if you don't want to pay, I'm sure there are some free textbooks out there in the "free physics books" thread on this forum.