Best books on electromagnetism, electricity and magnetism?

In summary, the person is looking for books that explain electricity, magnetism, and electromagnetism, as well as their history and discovery through experiments. They also mention they are trying to learn calculus and are looking for a book on classical mechanics. They have limited knowledge on the subject and are open to book recommendations that are clear and easy to understand. They are also seeking help with finding free textbooks on physics.
christian0710
Hi, I'm looking for some great books clearly explaining how electricity, magnetism and electromagnetism Works.
I'm also looking for some books describing how it was discovered and what experiments have been performed in discovering how it Works,.

So Far I've looked at
Electromagnetism: Principles and Applications - Paul Lorrain 1979
Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism - Arthur Kipp (1962)
Magnetism: A Very Short Introduction - 2012 Stephen J.

I'm working on learning calculus, and looking for a good book on classical mechanics as well :)

I'd love some help finding some great books on this subject.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your level of knowledge on the subject? How much mathematical knowledge do you have?

Likes christian0710
axmls said:
What's your level of knowledge on the subject? How much mathematical knowledge do you have?

At the moment I have very Little knowledge on the subject, and know a bit of calculus, I just bought some books on calculus. I have close to no understanding of how the experiments Work and what rules/theories could be derived from the experiments that are made.

Have you had any mechanics courses--i.e. A first course in calculus-based physics?

axmls said:
Have you had any mechanics courses--i.e. A first course in calculus-based physics?
Actually not. I'd love to find a great book on that subject to. I don't know what classical mechanics book or Calculusbased- physics is good to get since there are so many to choose between. I love the books that are clear and asy to understand and give great epxplanations.

I recommend that. Any first course in electromagnetism will assume you know about mechanics. We used Halliday and Resnick at my school, so you can check that out, but if you don't want to pay, I'm sure there are some free textbooks out there in the "free physics books" thread on this forum.

What are the top books on electromagnetism, electricity and magnetism?

The top books on electromagnetism, electricity and magnetism are "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward Purcell, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, "Electromagnetic Field Theory Fundamentals" by Bhag Singh Guru and Hüseyin R. Hiziroğlu, and "Magnetic Circuits and Transformers" by Arthur F. Curtis and Irving Gottlieb.

What is the recommended reading level for books on electromagnetism, electricity, and magnetism?

The recommended reading level for books on electromagnetism, electricity, and magnetism varies, as there are books available for both introductory and advanced levels. However, most of the top books on this topic are geared towards undergraduate and graduate students studying physics or engineering.

Are there any books specifically focused on the practical applications of electromagnetism, electricity, and magnetism?

Yes, there are books that focus specifically on the practical applications of electromagnetism, electricity, and magnetism. Some examples include "Practical Electromagnetics" by Fawwaz T. Ulaby, "Fundamentals of Electromagnetics with Engineering Applications" by Stuart M. Wentworth, and "Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility" by Clayton R. Paul.

Do these books cover both classical and modern theories of electromagnetism?

Yes, most of the top books on electromagnetism, electricity, and magnetism cover both classical and modern theories. However, some may focus more heavily on one or the other. It is important to read reviews and book summaries to determine which books best fit your needs and interests.

Are there any books that combine electromagnetism, electricity, and magnetism with other topics in physics?

Yes, there are books that cover electromagnetism, electricity, and magnetism in conjunction with other topics in physics. Some examples include "Electromagnetism for Engineers" by P. Hammond, "Electromagnetism and the Structure of Matter" by Erich H. Kisi and Christopher J. Howard, and "Modern Electromagnetic Theory" by John Dirk Walecka.