1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Best books on electromagnetism, electricity and magnetism?

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm looking for some great books clearly explaining how electricity, magnetism and electromagnetism Works.
    I'm also looking for some books describing how it was discovered and what experiments have been performed in discovering how it Works,.

So Far I've looked at
    Electromagnetism: Principles and Applications - Paul Lorrain 1979
    Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism - Arthur Kipp (1962)
    Magnetism: A Very Short Introduction - 2012 Stephen J.

I'm working on learning calculus, and looking for a good book on classical mechanics as well :)

I'd love some help finding some great books on this subject.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2
    What's your level of knowledge on the subject? How much mathematical knowledge do you have?

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3
    At the moment I have very Little knowledge on the subject, and know a bit of calculus, I just bought some books on calculus. I have close to no understanding of how the experiments Work and what rules/theories could be derived from the experiments that are made.

5. Jun 11, 2015 #4
    Have you had any mechanics courses--i.e. A first course in calculus-based physics?

6. Jun 11, 2015 #5
    Actually not. I'd love to find a great book on that subject to. I don't know what classical mechanics book or Calculusbased- physics is good to get since there are so many to choose between. I love the books that are clear and asy to understand and give great epxplanations.

7. Jun 11, 2015 #6
    I recommend that. Any first course in electromagnetism will assume you know about mechanics. We used Halliday and Resnick at my school, so you can check that out, but if you don't want to pay, I'm sure there are some free textbooks out there in the "free physics books" thread on this forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted