Cheng's or Lorrain/Corson's Electromagnetics book?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a book on electromagnetics for a second course on the subject. The person had already used Griffith's "Introduction to Electrodynamics" and was now looking for something more advanced but not at the graduate level. Two options were Cheng's "Field and Wave Electromagnetics" and Lorrain and Corson's "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves." Other suggestions were given, such as Landau&Lifshitz Vol. II, Schwinger's "Classical Electrodynamics," and Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics." The conversation also mentioned the Feynman Lectures vol. II and Zangwill's "Modern Electrodynamics" as potential options. Finally,

Which of these books is better?

• David Cheng's "Field and Wave Electromagnetics"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P.Lorrain and Corson's "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves"

• Other(explain)

• Total voters
Joker93
Hello, I want a book on electromagnetics for my second course on electromagnetism. In my first course we used Griffith's "Introduction to Electrodynamics" with supplements like Morin and Purcell's "Electricity and Magnetism". I borrowed those from the university's library but now I want to step up my level and go for something just a bit more advanced(not graduate level though). After some research, I have narrowed it down to the two following choices:
Cheng's "Field and Wave Electromagnetics"
Lorrain and Corson's "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves"
So, which one do you think is the better of the two?
Also, if you have any other suggestion, please feel free to express it(except Griffith's and Morin/Purcell's books)!
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Landau&Lifshitz Vol. II
Schwinger, Classical Electrodynamics
Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics

vanhees71 said:
Landau&Lifshitz Vol. II
Schwinger, Classical Electrodynamics
Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics
Ain't Jackson's and Landau's books at graduate level?

Well, but if you've been through Griffiths and you want to go beyond that level, they seem to be good. Of course, you should first check at the library, whether you like them or find them useful before you buy them.

vanhees71 said:
Well, but if you've been through Griffiths and you want to go beyond that level, they seem to be good. Of course, you should first check at the library, whether you like them or find them useful before you buy them.
You got me wrong. The professor teaches at a level similar to that of Griffith's. But I want to study the same material at just a bit more advance level. Just a bit. Not all the way up to graduate level! I am thinking about a book that goes just a bit more deep than Griffiths as far as mathematics go and also that also treats some more subtle subjects that might not be found at a book like Griffith's. Maybe the way I had put it give the wrong impression

Then perhaps have a look at the Feynman Lectures vol. II.

Likes jasonRF
Is it more advanced than Griffiths?

I'd say, it's one of the best books ever written about physics.

The two books you mention are at the same level as Griffiths. I am most familiar with Cheng's book. It has a different emphasis than Griffiths - spending a few chapters on transmission lines, impedance matching, waveguides and basic antennas, but is no more advanced. Cheng's book will help prepare for learning about microwave engineering and such, but will be any additional help for more advanced material. I'm only a little familiar with Lorrain and Corson - again it is similar to Griffiths with a slightly different coverage (and more interesting problems!).

One book that is in-between Griffiths and graduate level may be Marion and Heald
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486490602.html
Note that the solutions manual is also available from that page, so it may be nice for self-study. See if your library has it to see if it is what you are looking for.

jason

Likes vanhees71
Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
I'd say, it's one of the best books ever written about physics.
I will certainly check it out! thank you!
jasonRF said:
The two books you mention are at the same level as Griffiths. I am most familiar with Cheng's book. It has a different emphasis than Griffiths - spending a few chapters on transmission lines, impedance matching, waveguides and basic antennas, but is no more advanced. Cheng's book will help prepare for learning about microwave engineering and such, but will be any additional help for more advanced material. I'm only a little familiar with Lorrain and Corson - again it is similar to Griffiths with a slightly different coverage (and more interesting problems!).

One book that is in-between Griffiths and graduate level may be Marion and Heald
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486490602.html
Note that the solutions manual is also available from that page, so it may be nice for self-study. See if your library has it to see if it is what you are looking for.

jason
Marion/Heald's book seems very good!By the way, does any of you know Zangwill's Modern Electrodynamics?

I've looked through it. It seems to be a good book, but I don't understand what's "modern" about it. A really "modern" book is more like Landau/Lifshitz, Scheck, or Schwartz, where E&M is treated as a relativistic theory, which it is right from the beginning 150 years ago but which was only realized by Poincare, Lorentz, and finally Einstein around 110 years ago.

1. What is the main focus of Cheng's or Lorrain/Corson's Electromagnetics book?

The main focus of Cheng's or Lorrain/Corson's Electromagnetics book is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and applications of electromagnetics. It covers topics such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic waves, and transmission lines.

2. Is the book suitable for beginners or is it more advanced?

The book is more suitable for advanced students or professionals in the field of electromagnetics. It assumes a basic understanding of calculus, vector analysis, and differential equations.

3. Does the book include practical examples and exercises?

Yes, the book includes numerous practical examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts learned. It also includes solutions to selected problems at the end of each chapter.

4. What sets Cheng's or Lorrain/Corson's Electromagnetics book apart from other textbooks on the subject?

One of the main features that sets this book apart is the clear and concise explanations of complex concepts. It also includes a wide range of topics and real-world applications, making it a comprehensive resource for students and professionals.

5. Can this book be used as a reference guide for working professionals?

Yes, this book can be used as a reference guide for working professionals in the field of electromagnetics. It covers a broad range of topics and provides a thorough understanding of the subject, making it a valuable resource for professionals seeking to expand their knowledge or refresh their understanding of the fundamentals.