Best Classical Mechanics Textbook

In summary: I'm not too rigorous, but I'd say at least a solid background in calculus and linear algebra is necessary.
CanIExplore
Dear forum,

I recently took an analytic mechanics course at UCLA in which the average grade on the first midterm was something like a 27 out of 80. The teacher was a brilliant man but unfortunately could not convey the material to the students. I don't think anyone felt as though they had gained a better understanding of classical mechanics after taking the course. So I have taken it upon myself to buy a textbook on the subject and learn the material on my own over the summer. What are your recommendations and or bad experiences? The book we used in our course was "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" by Thornton and Marion 5th ed. which seemed like a good read based on the short amount of exposure I had to it. But I would like to know your opinions before I get too involved in a bad book.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I see Goldstein's classical mechanics listed as a top book anytime this question gets asked: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201657023/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I self taught classical mechanics using a book by Finn mostly:https://www.amazon.com/dp/0763779601/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I also have Lev Landau's book, but I don't think I could have used that as a first introduction. I didn't get it until I was already comfortable with Lagrangian and some Hamiltonian formalism.

I can never stick to one book though, so I would frequently check out Taylor's book, Morin's book, and Gregory's book (with the moon on the cover).

I found that each one treated a topic or two better than the other ones, so I had Finn's book permanently checked out of the library and would periodically use it with one of the other ones if it seemed to explain a topic particularly well.

*I never got to use Goldstein's...it was 'stolen' from the library. I have seen people list his book as their favorite time and time again though, so I wanted to check it out. I asked the library to replace the stolen copy many times...but we're still Goldstein-less. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes poseidon721
Goldstein is at a much higher level than Marion/Thornton. How rigorous are you willing to go? The Marion book is fine if you only need a very basic knowledge, however I would much rather
suggest Classical Mechanics by Gregory for self study which is *about* at Marion's level.

Also, here are some links:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1819

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Leo Liu
Hmm, well actually I really only need enough to be prepared for the physics GRE. So I'm not sure how in depth Goldstein's book is compared to the material covered on the GRE. I will take a peak at the text by Gregory. Thanks much.

I'm in a classical mechanics course right now. Thornton and Marion is required, but I went ahead and bought Taylor's Classical Mechanics as well. I like Taylor's book much better.

I used Taylor for my class, but I also supplemented with Marion/Thornton and Gregory. I would probably rank my preference as Taylor > Marion and Thornton > Gregory mostly because M+T has more examples than Gregory, though they're all pretty good books.

What is the best classical mechanics textbook for beginners?

The best classical mechanics textbook for beginners is "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject, with clear explanations and plenty of examples. It is also suitable for self-study.

What is the best classical mechanics textbook for advanced students?

The best classical mechanics textbook for advanced students is "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein. It is a classic and comprehensive text that covers both the traditional and modern approaches to classical mechanics. It is also suitable for graduate-level courses.

Is there a classical mechanics textbook that focuses on applications in engineering?

Yes, "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by R.C. Hibbeler is a popular textbook that focuses on the application of classical mechanics principles to engineering problems. It covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, and energy methods.

Are there any classical mechanics textbooks that include interactive simulations or online resources?

Yes, "Classical Mechanics: A Modern Introduction" by Walter Greiner and Lutz Neise includes interactive simulations and online resources to supplement the text. It also covers modern topics such as chaos theory and non-inertial reference frames.

What is the most concise classical mechanics textbook?

The most concise classical mechanics textbook is "A Student's Guide to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians" by Patrick Hamill. It focuses on the key concepts and techniques of classical mechanics, and is suitable for students who want a quick overview or review of the subject.