1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Classical Mechanics textbook for undergrad level

1. Jan 23, 2012 #1
    What would be your go-to textbook for Classical Mechanics at the undergraduate level?
    It must also cover the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation.

My school uses "Analytical Mechanics" by Fowles & Cassiday but I find it not very complete and doesn't cover all topics. I've also read parts of "Classical Mechanics" by John Taylor and find the explanations to be very good but the book is way too verbose.

What texts would you recommend for Classical Mechanics?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I learned from the 1st edition of Marion, Classical Dynamics, and liked it. Seems a lot of people don't like the changes that new author Thornton introduced starting in the 3rd edition, so you might try getting a hold of the 1st or 2nd editions.

Landau and Lifgarbagez is advanced, but has a beautiful approach to teaching the topic. You might follow along there, or wait until you've completed your course and then read L&L for a different perspective.

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I'll check out the second edition of Marion first. Perhaps Landau and Lifgarbagez can wait.

Over 200 views and only one reply, can't say how much I appreciate your help.

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4
    I think a big chunk of that is search bots, but I'm not sure.

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5
    Look at Classical Mechanics by R. D. Gregory.
    As for me, I consider it one of the best undergraduate classical mechanics textbooks.

7. Jan 29, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

8. Jan 29, 2012 #7
    Landau and Lifgarbagez or Goldstein all the way!

9. Feb 2, 2012 #8
    If slightly different notation is not a problem for you (it´s a big one for some students), try Greiner's Classical mechanics: systems of particles and hamiltonian dynamics. The way Greriner explains worked out problems is a big plus in my opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook