1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best colour to paint something to keep cool

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    Hi, could anyone tell me please, what would be the best colour to paint a boat to keep the cabin cool in a tropical climate?

I think the answer probably is white because it will absorb less radiation, but I'm not sure because of course it will also emit radiation better as well.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi james26! welcome to pf! :smile:
    (you mean, it will emit radiation worse :wink:)

the boat will absorb heat mostly through radiation, but it will emit heat mostly through convection

so the colour won't really affect the rate at which it emits heat :smile:

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3

turbo

Gold Member

White would be best, because it won't absorb as much solar energy as darker colors. Therefore, there won't be as much IR to have to emit. Ever been to a boat-yard or pier? White predominates.

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4
    Oh, yes, I did mean worse..

How do you know it will absorb most by radiation and lose most through convection?

Also, how significant is the visible spectrum in terms of heat transfer? Is it as important as the IR region? And does the ability of a surface to absorb/emit in the visible region strongly correspond to the same in the IR region?

Many thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook