Best conceptual physics book for High Schoolers?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a physics book that clearly explains concepts and is easily understandable, without relying too much on math. The conversation also includes suggestions for books by authors such as Paul Hewitt, Richard Feynman, and Asimov, with a recommendation for Feynman's 3 volume Lectures on Physics. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the concepts behind the math and avoiding rote learning.
khalkash
I am not sure if this belongs here (My first post), and please move it or delete if need be.

I am only a high schooler, with basic algebra/precalc knowledge moving to Calc BC next year along with Physics C. I do not want any of the prep book mumbo jumbo. I just want a physics books that clearly helps with the concepts and delivers them to me in a understandable manner. Much like Calculus Lifesaver by Princeton University professor Adrian Banner if any of you are familiar with that. I am hoping the wonderful physics community here might have some knowledge in the type of book I am looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking for a physics books that doesn't use calculus. In my opinion, most of those books are rubbish. It would be much easier for you to learn calculus first. Then you can do physics the right way. You won't even need much calculus. Just Calculus I and a bit of knowledge about integrals is enough.

I hope people will post some nice suggestions here, cause I would be very interested in seeing them. But I fear that most books will be crap like Giancoli.

FLP. Enough Said. :)

SolsticeFire

khalkash said:
Best concenptual physics book for High Schoolers?
There does exist a book called Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt.

micromass said:
You're looking for a physics books that doesn't use calculus. In my opinion, most of those books are rubbish.
According to Wikipedia:
Conceptual physics is a non-mathematical approach to teaching physics. It is believed that with a strong conceptual foundation in physics, students are better equipped to understand the equations and formulas of physics, and to make connections between the concepts of physics and their everyday world.
Some high schools in the US use a "Physics First" sequence of physics-chemistry-biology during the first 3 years. The problem with this is high school freshmen usually don't have the math to take physics first, so in many cases the physics classes are "conceptual," with the idea that these students would take a more "meatier" physics course (be it algebra-based, calculus-based, AP, non-AP, whatever) during their senior year.

Likes CalcNerd
I remember reading Hewitt's book way back when and even "inherited" a 20+ volume lecture series of the same name, based on a class he taught at UHawaii. Great fun, great gee whiz stuff, inspiring lecturer, but at the end of the day you're really left with little of any usefulness or value, in my opinion. Physics, much more than any other scientific discipline I've studied, is as much about the math as it is about the physics. They're inseperable in a way. So to learn it "conceptually" by eschewing the maths is really missing the point. I suggest you take Micromass's advice or you're just going to have to learn the same thing twice, if you get that far. Take it from someone who already made that mistake.

The reason I want to learn it conceptually is that I learned that if the teacher is inadequate at teaching a subject properly, the student tends to begin to loath it. I want to love physics, but the reputation of my schools Physics C teacher is very poor. I just want something to parallel the lectures so I can grasp the concepts so then I have an easier time translating it to the math. I want to know what's really going on rather than plugging and chugging equations, and avoid learning how to do the problems without learning the physics. Am I making sense?

But even when I say I want a conceptual physics book, I do not mean that keep the math completely away. I WANT to learn the math behind it. But I want it to give it to me in a manner that is easily understandable. I often have trouble understanding hardcore textbook type material.

Last edited:
khalkash said:
The reason I want to learn it conceptually is that I learned that if the teacher is inadequate at teaching a subject properly, the student tends to begin to loath it. I want to love physics, but the reputation of my schools Physics C teacher is very poor. I just want something to parallel the lectures so I can grasp the concepts so then I have an easier time translating it to the math. I want to know what's really going on rather than plugging and chugging equations, and avoid learning how to do the problems without learning the physics. Am I making sense?

But even when I say I want a conceptual physics book, I do not mean that keep the math completely away. I WANT to learn the math behind it. But I want it to give it to me in a manner that is easily understandable. I often have trouble understanding hardcore textbook type material.

are you from india?

No, the US.

Oh! Because I knew some books by indian authors which are really useful for introductory physics...
Nevermind

Six easy pieces...Richard Feynman.
Understanding Physics...Asimov
Physics of the superheroes...James Kakalios. ( Not your conventional physics book but an informative and fun read )

Quantitative learning without qualitative ( deep-intuitive understanding of the subject is useless ). More than quite a freshman or sophomore students might not be even able to answer questions like why sky is blue etc.

Here is a great piece by Sanjoy Mahajan... ( A theoretical physicist from Caltech, and an associate professor at MIT)

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/sanjoy/ihpst/rote-physics.pdf

Basically anything by Feynman would be good to pick up. I started with some of his "conceptual" books and then just ended up grabbing his 3 volume Lectures on Physics. These are available free online if you want, they do use calculus but they have been a beneficial source for the exact reason that you are looking for. They give a mathematical and conceptual understanding any topic you will encounter in all of AP Physics, and probably even the first 3-4 semesters of undergrad.

try light and matter by Ben Crowell that is optional calculus-based.http://www.lightandmatter.com/lm/
that is free.I have been to want to find a physicstextbook that explain concepts well and apply the concepts to explain phenomena.(if such phenomena is more about your life,you will feel more happy when you understand the explanation for them) I thought for the same phenomena the explanation more concise then the explanation superior.now I am reading light and matter that is for my taste. I also reading another physicstextbooks.but for now first recommend light and matter..

Likes Neha Siddhartha

What makes a conceptual physics book suitable for high school students?

A suitable conceptual physics book for high school students should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, use relatable examples, and have practice problems at the end of each chapter to reinforce understanding. It should also have engaging visuals and be written in an accessible language for high schoolers.

Is there a specific level of difficulty for a conceptual physics book for high schoolers?

The level of difficulty for a conceptual physics book for high schoolers should be appropriate for students who are new to the subject. It should cover fundamental concepts and gradually increase in complexity. However, the difficulty level may vary depending on the curriculum and the abilities of the students.

Are there any recommended authors or publishers for conceptual physics books for high schoolers?

Some recommended authors for conceptual physics books for high schoolers are Paul G. Hewitt, Randall D. Knight, and Giancoli. Popular publishers for high school physics books include Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Prentice Hall.

Should a conceptual physics book for high schoolers include mathematical equations and formulas?

A conceptual physics book for high schoolers may include mathematical equations and formulas, but they should be kept to a minimum and only used to support the understanding of concepts. The focus should be on the conceptual understanding rather than the mathematical calculations.

Are there any online resources that can supplement a conceptual physics book for high schoolers?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement a conceptual physics book for high schoolers. Some examples include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These resources offer interactive simulations, videos, and practice problems to help students further understand and apply the concepts from the book.