Brief Conceptual Physics Books: 100-200 Pages, Clarity, Breadth & Depth

In summary: I am looking for brief, conceptual books covering several physics fields. They should satisfy the following criteria:1) brevity: optimal length between 100 and 200 pages2) clarity: typically written by masters, go straight to the point and explain it very well3) breadth: they should cover a major domain4) depth: in spite of their brevity, they go deep to the core of the matter5) originality: they present a non-trivial point of view on the subject matter.Exercises or problems are nice to have but not a prerequisite. In summary, the speaker is looking for brief, conceptual books on various physics fields. The ideal book would be between 100 and 200
Coelum
Dear PFer's,
I am looking for brief, conceptual books covering several physics fields. They should satisfy the following criteria:
1) brevity: optimal length between 100 and 200 pages
2) clarity: typically written by masters, go straight to the point and explain it very well
3) breadth: they should cover a major domain
4) depth: in spite of their brevity, they go deep to the core of the matter
5) originality: they present a non-trivial point of view on the subject matter.
Exercises or problems are nice to have but not a prerequisite.

To give you a concrete idea of what I am looking for, here is the list of the books I selected (and carefully read) so far:
1) Classical Mechanics: "Mechanics" by Landau, Lifsic
2) Thermodynamics: "Thermodynamics" by Fermi
3) Statistical Thermodynamics: "Statistical Thermodynamics" by Schroedinger
4) Relativity: "The Meaning of Relativity" by Einstein.
After writing down the list, I realized that all authors are Nobel Laureates. That is not required, but looks to me like no coincidence.

Here is the list of fields I want to cover next, for which I need help:
5) Electromagnetism: my best candidate is "Electrodynamics and Classical Theory of Fields and Particles" by Barut (not by a Nobel laureate and a bit too long but seems very well written and has lot of good problems)
6) Quantum Mechanics: candidates are "Notes on Quantum Mechanics" by Fermi (hard to read since it is just handwritten notes with little text) and "Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" by Von Neumann (too biased towards math, of course)
7) Quantum Field Theory: my best candidate is "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics" by Dirac, but it seems too focused on a specific problem (quantum theory on curved surfaces).

Before you post your proposals, let me add a remark: I am NOT looking for textbooks, especially introductory ones. You can safely assume that I have been exposed to the basic material before and I know the required math. If I do not, I will take a detour like I already did, e.g., for tensor calculus.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

Francesco

Likes FourEyedRaven
Physics news on Phys.org
A QM book that can be read in a couple afternoons is the brief book by Paul Davies:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0710099622/?tag=pfamazon01-20

though it achieves its brevity by leaving a lot out. This was from a series of brief books covering the major subjects of Physics.

Older QM texts tended to be more concise, like the one by Dicke and Wittke.

I think covering E&M in 200 pages is pretty tough. The Barut book is really a "classical fields" book, useful for QFT background but with very little of the traditional E&M material. My favorite E&M book is Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics.

I don't think QFT is a subject that lends itself to brevity. The attempts I've seen just end up being opaque at some point. My current recommendation is Lancaster & Blundell, Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur.

There have been some brief books on GR by famous authors -- Dirac and Shroedinger, for example -- but I wouldn't particularly recommend any of them. One brief book I highly recommend -- though not as an introduction -- is Tevian Dray's fascinating Differential Forms and the Geometry of General Relativity.

Dear Daverz,
thanks a lot for your reply: it has a lot of good hints. Schwartz's book definitely is a good candidate I was not aware of. QFT for the gifted amateur was already in my short list for QFT: its main drawback is its length - but QFT brevity sounds like an oxymoron. Dulcis in fundo, I did not know Dray's books on relativity: they look very appealing.
Thanks again,

Francesco

Some brief gems on general relativity and cosmology:

P.A.M. Dirac, General Theory of Relativity (77 pages)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/069101146X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It is really incredible how much and how clearly can be said on such a difficult topic in such a short book.

M. Lachieze-Rey, Cosmology: A First Course (131 pages)
https://www.amazon.com/Cosmology-First-Course-Marc-Lachièze-Rey/dp/0521479665/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1500386575&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=lachieze-rey+cosmology+a+first+course
Probably the lightest non-pop-science book on cosmology. Emphasizes physical concepts without using tensor analysis and other advanced math typical for general relativity.

Likes Coelum
Dear Demystifier & smodak,
thanks a lot for your precious insights. Virtually all your recommended books are worth an in-depth assessment. That will take me some time - probably I'll be able to give you a feedback only after the next week-end.Francesco

Likes smodak and Demystifier
"Cosmology for Physicists" by David Lyth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1498755313/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I would give this book (which In I have on my shelf) the oxymoronic-sounding title "Advanced Cosmology Lite". 156 pages, excluding the appendices. From the preface:
"This book gives an account of cosmology for those who know physics at the level of a late undergraduate student. It should be useful to practically anybody who is, or has been, such a student. The only exceptions would be those actively engaged in early-universe research, numbering I suppose a few hundred at the present time."

"A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michele Maggiore
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198520743/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Many solve problems.

Likes Demystifier
Dear all,
thanks again for taking the time to share such a well thought out list of gems. Here is the update of my original list, based on your recommendations and a look at the books:

1) Classical Mechanics: "Mechanics" by Landau, Lifsic
2) Thermodynamics: "Thermodynamics" by Fermi
3) Statistical Thermodynamics: "Statistical Thermodynamics" by Schroedinger
4) Relativity: "The Meaning of Relativity" by Einstein.

5) Electromagnetism: "Principles of Electrodynamics" by Schwartz (another Nobel laureate!) - hint courtesy of Daverz
6) Quantum Mechanics: "Lectures on Quantum Theory" by Isham - hint courtesy of Smodak
7) Quantum Field Theory: "A Pedestrian Approach to Quantum Field Theory" by Harris - hint courtesy of Demystifier.

I just finished reading Einstein, I will start with Schwartz during the weekend :-)

Francesco

Likes Demystifier and smodak
Modern Quantum Field Theory: A Concise Introduction by Tom Banks is a decent brief QFT book inspired by the approach of Mandl's 1959 text.

1. What is the purpose of a brief conceptual physics book?

A brief conceptual physics book is meant to provide a concise and clear understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics within 100-200 pages. It is designed to be accessible to readers of all levels and backgrounds, and aims to provide a broad understanding of the subject.

2. How is the clarity of a brief conceptual physics book ensured?

The brevity of the book allows for a focused and organized approach to explaining complex concepts. Additionally, the use of simple language and visual aids such as diagrams and illustrations help to clarify the content and make it easier to understand.

3. Can a brief conceptual physics book cover a wide range of topics?

Yes, a brief conceptual physics book can cover a wide range of topics within its limited page count. However, it may not go into great depth on each topic, instead providing a general overview and understanding of the key concepts.

4. Is a brief conceptual physics book suitable for beginners?

Yes, a brief conceptual physics book is suitable for beginners as it is designed to introduce fundamental concepts and principles in a clear and concise manner. It is a good starting point for those who are new to the subject and want to gain a basic understanding.

5. Are there any limitations to a brief conceptual physics book?

A brief conceptual physics book may not cover all topics and subtopics in great detail due to its limited page count. It also may not be suitable for those looking for in-depth analysis or detailed explanations of complex theories. However, it serves as a good foundation for further learning and understanding of physics.