1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best foreign language to study for differential geometry?

1. Mandarin Chinese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. French

50.0%
  3. Russian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. German

50.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    I want to be able to read bold research that hasn't yet been translated into English. There are so many wide-open problems out there in this field...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

I thought English is the standard language in all of research mathematics. Are there really 'a lot of' people doing research in differential geometry who publish their results in any other language?

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    Latin...? I don't know...or Greek..? Definitely not French, that I know

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4
    Well, I do know there's a small but influential Sinophone community of scholars within this field (Yau and Chern come to mind, among others), and I know that French geometers have "done" differentiable manifolds. I was just wondering what you guys thought.

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I seriously doubt ANY researcher, regardless of field, would be crazy enough to publish results they considered to be important in any other language but English.

I am sure there are a few journals around where you are allowed to publish articles in other languages, but that is generally "internal" journals (proceedings of various national academies etc) that are meant to show journalists, politicians etc what scientists are doing with their funding.

Before the fall of the Berlin wall there were still important papers being published in Russian and sometimes it took a few months before they were translated to English, but that was for political reasons; the scientist themselves would have prefered to publish in English.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook