Best foreign language to study for differential geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of languages in research mathematics and the prevalence of publishing in English. The speaker expresses interest in reading research that has not yet been translated into English, and questions if there are many researchers in differential geometry who publish in languages other than English. The other speaker mentions the influence of the Sinophone community and French geometers in the field, but ultimately doubts that any researcher would choose to publish important results in a language other than English. They also mention that there may be some journals that allow publishing in other languages, but it is generally limited to internal publications. The conversation ends with a mention of how political factors used to affect the translation of research papers from other languages to English.

Which language would best prepare me to contribute to differential geometry?

• Mandarin Chinese

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russian

• Other

• Total voters
thalassophile
I want to be able to read bold research that hasn't yet been translated into English. There are so many wide-open problems out there in this field...

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought English is the standard language in all of research mathematics. Are there really 'a lot of' people doing research in differential geometry who publish their results in any other language?

Latin...? I don't know...or Greek..? Definitely not French, that I know

Well, I do know there's a small but influential Sinophone community of scholars within this field (Yau and Chern come to mind, among others), and I know that French geometers have "done" differentiable manifolds. I was just wondering what you guys thought.

I seriously doubt ANY researcher, regardless of field, would be crazy enough to publish results they considered to be important in any other language but English.

I am sure there are a few journals around where you are allowed to publish articles in other languages, but that is generally "internal" journals (proceedings of various national academies etc) that are meant to show journalists, politicians etc what scientists are doing with their funding.

Before the fall of the Berlin wall there were still important papers being published in Russian and sometimes it took a few months before they were translated to English, but that was for political reasons; the scientist themselves would have preferred to publish in English.

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and curves using techniques from calculus and linear algebra.

2. Why is it important to study differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a fundamental tool in many fields of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to understand and describe the geometry of curved surfaces and spaces, which are essential for many real-world applications.

3. What is the best foreign language to study for differential geometry?

The best foreign language to study for differential geometry would depend on your specific research interests and the availability of resources in that language. However, some commonly used languages in the field include French, German, and Russian.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to study differential geometry?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and geometry is necessary to understand and apply the concepts of differential geometry. It is also helpful to have knowledge of multivariable calculus and vector calculus.

5. Are there any online resources or courses available for studying differential geometry?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available for studying differential geometry, including video lectures, textbooks, and interactive tutorials. Some popular platforms for online learning include Coursera, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare.