Should I take a course in differential geometry?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's interest in studying differential geometry for their undergraduate degree and whether it would be useful for a physicist. They mentioned their university not having a specific course for physicists but planning on taking general relativity which includes differential geometry. The conversation also touched on the structure of the differential geometry course, including its prerequisite in projective geometry and its content on Riemannian manifolds. The speaker also discussed their interest in understanding the formal mathematics behind concepts in general relativity and mentioned a continuum mechanics course offered by the Engineering college. They also noted the confusing course names in their mathematics department, such as a linear algebra course for biologists called "Numerical Calculus."
barboza.g
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of maybe of studying differential geometry as part of my undergraduate degree. However, it's not for physicists, it's a full on formal mathematics course specifically for mathematicians. I'm not sure whether it's a bit overkill and won't actually be useful. We don't have a course for physicists at my university; however, I do plan on taking general relativity to which includes dif. geometry at the beginning; maybe that's enough. I wanted to do something in string theory for my undergraduate thesis although I'm not sure what yet.

To actually take a class in differential geometry first you have to take a semester in "projective geometry" (I've been told it's not really projective geometry) which includes:
-Affine spaces
-Curves & regular surfaces
-Gauss maps
-Intrinsic geometry (conformal maps,geodesics,Gauss-Bonnet theorem)

Then the following semester the differential geometry course would include:
-Implicit and inverse function theorems.
-Manifolds and differential functions
-Partitions of unity, quotients and group actions
-Tangent bundles & fields
-Lie groups
-Differential forms and orientability
-de Rham cohomology
It's supposed to include Riemannian manifolds but the courses vary depending on which professor gives them.

In general relativity (which I'm doing for sure) I get a 5-week course in:
-Topological space. Differential manifold. Tangent and cotangent spaces. Tensors and p-forms. Areas and volumes. External derivative. Closed and exact forms. Poincaré, Frobenius, Stokes.
-Lie derivative. Hodge star operator. Covariant derivative. Torsion. Normal Riemann coordinates. Riemann and Ricci tensor.

Links in spanish:
-http://cms.dm.uba.ar/academico/programas/Geometria_Proyectiva and http://www.dm.uba.ar/materias/geometria_proyectiva/2012/2/
-Differential geometry syllabus and http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~pzadub/2015_1_geodif/
-http://materias.df.uba.ar/rga2015c1/programa/ and http://materias.df.uba.ar/rga2015c1/guias/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
barboza.g said:
To actually take a class in differential geometry first you have to take a semester in "projective geometry" (I've been told it's not really projective geometry) which includes:
-Affine spaces
-Curves & regular surfaces
-Gauss maps
-Intrinsic geometry (conformal maps,geodesics,Gauss-Bonnet theorem)

You're right, this is not projective geometry at all. I don't understand why they name it that way. But anyway, ...

So this really depends on you. Many people approach the heavy mathematics in GR very differently. This is because many people have very different needs apparently.

It sounds like the GR course would just give you some intuitive understanding of the concepts involved. I'm sure that it won't go deep, or be very formal. Now, some people are ok with intuitive understanding. Other people find it horrible and look for more formal and deep explanations of the concepts. You should probably already know which one you are.

If you want to understand the nitty gritty details of the mathematics of GR, it seems like the two courses you mentioned are excellent. They'll teach you the logic behind the concepts. I'm sure this course is not absolutely necessary for you to take, but only you should know whether you're better off with this or not.

Likes FactChecker
barboza.g said:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of maybe of studying differential geometry as part of my undergraduate degree. However, it's not for physicists, it's a full on formal mathematics course specifically for mathematicians. I'm not sure whether it's a bit overkill and won't actually be useful. We don't have a course for physicists at my university; however, I do plan on taking general relativity to which includes dif. geometry at the beginning; maybe that's enough.
<snip>

Is there a continuum mechanics/fluid mechanics course taught by the Engineering college? I ended up taking a continuum mech. class from the Materials Science department that covered these topics.

micromass said:
If you want to understand the nitty gritty details of the mathematics of GR, it seems like the two courses you mentioned are excellent. They'll teach you the logic behind the concepts.

Excellent! I was afraid of it being too general for what I was looking for. I really am looking forward to taking the course though, I do enjoy those nitty gritty details.

Andy Resnick said:
Is there a continuum mechanics/fluid mechanics course taught by the Engineering college? I ended up taking a continuum mech. class from the Materials Science department that covered these topics.

I had no idea, I checked just now and we actually do have a continuum mechanics course at Engineering which covers these topics. Looks quite interesting.

micromass said:
You're right, this is not projective geometry at all. I don't understand why they name it that way. But anyway, ...

Yes, our department of mathematics has a problem with names sometimes. Another impressive example is a linear algebra course for biologists called, for some unfathomable reason, "Numerical Calculus".

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using techniques from calculus and linear algebra. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. Why should I take a course in differential geometry?

A course in differential geometry can provide a deeper understanding of geometric concepts and their applications. It can also improve problem-solving skills and prepare students for advanced studies in mathematics or related fields.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take a course in differential geometry?

While a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra is recommended, many introductory courses in differential geometry are designed for students with a basic understanding of mathematics. Some courses may also provide a review of relevant concepts.

4. What are the potential career opportunities for someone who has taken a course in differential geometry?

A course in differential geometry can lead to various career opportunities, including research in mathematics, physics, or engineering, as well as work in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and data analysis.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning differential geometry?

Yes, there are various online resources available, such as video lectures, interactive tutorials, and online courses. It is also recommended to consult textbooks and practice problems to supplement your learning. However, it is important to note that taking a course with an instructor can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.