Best Intermediate Algebra textbooks?

In summary: What is meant by "abstract algebra"?I'm not sure what intermediate algebra means specifically. But on OpenStax you can find out for free what you may be looking for.Abstract algebra is a mathematical discipline that deals with the structures of algebraic systems. It is more abstract than algebra, which is the study of mathematical equations and their solutions. Abstract algebra is the study of the structure of these systems, not of the solutions.
BadgerBadger92
I want to teach myself math, and am trying to start with intermediate algebra. What are some of the best textbooks on this subject, especially for someone trying to learn this without a class?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite sure what intermediate algebra means specifically. But on OpenStax you can find out for free what you may be looking for. The books may not be the best choices, but they could help to specify your question. As school books they are as good as any in my opinion. If algebra means abstract algebra, then things are different.

Just any kind of textbook for the beginning of learning algebra, I guess "complete beginner algebra" is the best I am implying. Not sure how to put it more simply.

Have a look at the link. Those books are ok. I don't know whether they offer a printed version, but the pdf are good to start with - at various levels. The downloads are free, so just look at them.

In case you look for specific books, then my question is about your goals. E.g. for helping someone at school their school books would probably be the best recommendation.

BadgerBadger92 said:
Just any kind of textbook for the beginning of learning algebra,
In post #1 you mentioned "intermediate algebra."
Here are some of the books I found listed on Amazon, that are relatively inexpensive. These are all intermediate algebra. If that's too advanced for you, do a search for "beginning algebra" or "elementary algebra."

Intermediate Algebra: Graphs & Functions, Ron Larson $20.99
Intermediate Algebra, Charles P. McKeague $47.80
Intermediate Algebra (10th ed): Margaret Lial $34.97
Intermediate Algebra, 6th ed, D. Franklin Wright $16.32

Some of the textbooks are quite expensive, running above $100 and nearly to $200. Of the books I've listed, Larson, McKeague, and Lial have been producing algebra books for at least 25 years. I'm not familiar with the last author I mentioned, but it seemed like a reasonable price for a textbook.

Likes symbolipoint
BadgerBadger92 said:
I want to teach myself math, and am trying to start with intermediate algebra

Why do you want to start in the middle?

Because I already have an understanding of elementary algebra

BadgerBadger92 said:
I guess "complete beginner algebra" is the best I am implying.
BadgerBadger92 said:

Once you make up your mind, you can get back to us. Until we know what the question is, it's hard to craft a good answer.

Vanadium 50 said:
Until we know what the question is, it's hard to craft a good answer.
Except to have a look at the linked variety of (free) books from Rice University to achieve this improvement.

BadgerBadger92 said:
Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you want to start in the middle?
BadgerBadger92 said:
Completely understandable.
Someone who understands "elementary algebra" well enough could begin reviewing at Intermediate Algebra and learn well at this level. Textbooks of Intermed algebra often contain a brief review of some of Elementary Algebra. Usually the books take you from where you were with Elementary and just push things farther.

You could spend as little as one or two dollars for a very good or excellent textbook of Intermediate Algebra from library used-book sales. Look for authors such as Larson, Larson & Hostetler, Wright & New, Gilbert & Perez, Aufmann, Barker, Nation; there are others.

Your description of your level is confused and confusing. Your profile gives you 'undergrad' which to me means at University having done the school syllabus. Plus your favorite areas are not pure math, which makes some difference to recommendations. Though maybe you want to extend outside the physics-relevant area.

Especially if you are at University have you considered visiting a bookshop? :oldsmile: If there still are such places where you are you could browse there through books and see if one seems appropriate level and style for you. Don't forget the secondhand section if there is one. In big enough cities there are whole secondhand bookshops where troves sometimes turn up.

Likes Vanadium 50
my favorite algebra book, going from absolute beginning to material taught in graduate courses, is Elements of Algebra, by L. Euler. Here is the first page, which will give the flavor. In adition, it is available for free online.
https://archive.org/details/ElementsOfAlgebraLeonhardEuler2015/mode/2up

1. Whatever is capable of increase or diminution is called magnitude, or quantity. A sum of money therefore is a quantity, since we may increase it or diminish it. It is the same with a weight, and other things of this nature. 2. From this definition, it is evident that the different kinds of magnitude must be so various, as to render it difficult to enumerate them: and this is the origin of the different branches of the Mathematics, each being employed on a particular kind of magnitude. Mathematics, in general, is the science of quantity; or, the science which investigates the means of measuring quantity. 3. Now, we cannot measure or determine any quantity, except by considering some other quantity of the same kind as known, and pointing out their mutual relation. If it were proposed, for example, to determine the quantity of a sum of money, we should take some known piece of money, as a louis, a crown, a ducat, or some other coin, and show how many of these pieces are contained in the given sum. In the same manner, if it were proposed to determine the quantity of a weight, we should take a certain known weight; for example, a pound, an ounce, etc. and then show how many times one of these weights is contained in that which we are endeavouring to ascertain. If we wished to measure any length or extension, we should make use of some known length, such as a foot. 4. So that the determination, or the measure of magnitude of all kinds, is reduced to this: fix at pleasure upon anyone known magnitude of the same species with that which is to be determined, and consider it as the measure or unit; then, determine the proportion of the proposed magnitude to this known measure. This proportion is always expressed by numbers; so that a number is nothing but the proportion of one magnitude to another arbitrarily assumed as the unit. 5. From this it appears that all magnitudes may be expressed by numbers; and that the foundation of all the Mathematical Sciences must be laid in a complete treatise on the science of Numbers, and in an accurate examination of the different possible methods of calculation. This fundamental part of mathematics is called Analysis, or Algebra[4].

I find most textbooks titles 'Intermediate Algebra' are all pretty similar. You could check your school library if they have one that speaks to you. Alternatively, you could order a cheap early edition by Lial. That's the one I used and it was easy to learn from for someone just learning algebra.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and jim mcnamara
The OP hasn't been here in a month, and it was still unclear exactly what he was looking for when he left.

BadgerBadger92 said:
I want to teach myself math, and am trying to start with intermediate algebra. What are some of the best textbooks on this subject, especially for someone trying to learn this without a class?
Mark44 said:
In post #1 you mentioned "intermediate algebra."
Here are some of the books I found listed on Amazon, that are relatively inexpensive. These are all intermediate algebra. If that's too advanced for you, do a search for "beginning algebra" or "elementary algebra."

Intermediate Algebra: Graphs & Functions, Ron Larson $20.99
Intermediate Algebra, Charles P. McKeague $47.80
Intermediate Algebra (10th ed): Margaret Lial $34.97
Intermediate Algebra, 6th ed, D. Franklin Wright $16.32

Some of the textbooks are quite expensive, running above $100 and nearly to $200. Of the books I've listed, Larson, McKeague, and Lial have been producing algebra books for at least 25 years. I'm not familiar with the last author I mentioned, but it seemed like a reasonable price for a textbook.
BadgerBadger92 said:
symbolipoint said:
You could spend as little as one or two dollars for a very good or excellent textbook of Intermediate Algebra from library used-book sales. Look for authors such as Larson, Larson & Hostetler, Wright & New, Gilbert & Perez, Aufmann, Barker, Nation; there are others.
Vanadium 50 said:
The OP hasn't been here in a month, and it was still unclear exactly what he was looking for when he left.

The original poster, BadgerBadger92, would seem to now have good enough information for what he wants to do. He described having adequate Introductory Algebra knowledge and wanted to learn Intermediate Algebra on his own. He should have basically no trouble finding a fine book to learn from.

1. What are the key features to look for in a good Intermediate Algebra textbook?

A good Intermediate Algebra textbook should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a variety of exercises that cover all the important topics. It should also have a user-friendly layout and include helpful resources such as online tutorials or study guides.

2. How do I know which Intermediate Algebra textbook is the best for me?

The best Intermediate Algebra textbook for you will depend on your learning style and personal preferences. It's important to review the table of contents, read reviews from other students, and even preview sample chapters to see which textbook aligns with your needs and goals.

3. Are there any online resources or supplements that come with the textbook?

Many Intermediate Algebra textbooks come with online resources such as practice quizzes, video tutorials, and interactive exercises. Some textbooks also offer access to online platforms where you can track your progress and receive personalized feedback.

4. How much should I expect to spend on an Intermediate Algebra textbook?

The cost of an Intermediate Algebra textbook can vary greatly depending on the publisher, edition, and format (e.g. hardcover, e-book). On average, you can expect to spend anywhere from $50 to $150. However, there are also options to rent or buy used textbooks, which can save you money.

5. Is it necessary to purchase the newest edition of an Intermediate Algebra textbook?

While it's always recommended to have the most up-to-date information, it's not always necessary to purchase the newest edition of an Intermediate Algebra textbook. If you're on a budget, you can often find used or older editions that still cover the same material. Just make sure to check with your instructor to see if there are any significant changes between editions.