1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Which one of these Linear Algebra textbooks is the best?

1. Strang - Introduction to Linear Algebra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Strang - Linear Algebra and Applications

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lay - Linear Algebra and Applications

15.4%
  4. Lang - Linear Algebra

30.8%
  5. Hoffman and Kunze - Linear Algebra

30.8%
  6. Halmos - Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces

15.4%
  7. Axler - Linear Algebra Done Right

38.5%
  8. Friedberg and Spence - Linear Algebra

15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    I want a good linear algebra textbook in order to learn to use linear algebra in physics but also to use it in more theoretical mathematics courses.
    I hope that with this poll i will also help others that want to study from a proper Linear Algebra textbook.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

those are all good books, but different from each other. if i were starting out i would probably start with friedberg and spence or lang, then move up to hoffman and kunze and then halmos. i am not a big fan of axler or strang, although many people are. as pointed out here many times, a favorite with people here is the free book linear algebra done wrong, by sergei treil at brown.

4. Jan 14, 2016 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Jan 14, 2016 #4
    I will check out the book Linear Algebra Done Wrong!
    Having seen both Strang's books and Axler's books, i must say that they are very clearly written. Could you please tell me why do you prefer the books that you mentioned?
    And by the way, thanks for the recommendations!

6. Jan 14, 2016 #5
    He has two books. Are sure you are not referring to his textbook "Linear Algebra" rather than "Linear Algebra and Its Applications"?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Jan 14, 2016 #6

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The book with "applications" in the title is an updated and enlarged edition. I suppose that including this word was encouraged by the publisher.

8. Jan 14, 2016 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i guess axler's book is a little terse for my liking. i actually did learn some proofs from it to use in my own writing, but for a beginner i don't think he gives enough examples and details to get a good grasp. as for strang i just found his writing style depressing in an artistic sense almost., i did like his online free lectures though, they were irresistably clear. so yes if you like those books then go for them. i myself sometimes get bored with clear but dull books. sometimes i like clear and sometimes i like beautiful and sometimes i like fun. i have also written several books on the topic. free in my webpage. (but not as good as treil.)
    http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~roy/

9. Mar 7, 2016 #8

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted