Best introductory self-learning physics guide?

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for self-learning materials for university level physics. The person suggests "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Young and Freedman as the best book for learning physics, and also mentions edX as a free online university course with homework and accompanying resources.
christian0710
Hi, what would be some of the best self-learning University physics introductor materials, books, (perhaps online video courses) you could recommend? I’ve been looking through the “physics learning materials” where I found some great pdf files/notes, but what would be great is if there actually were a complete course with accompanying books, videos/lectures and homework assignments for each lecture (The complete pack). So the complete (well explained – easy to understand) theory + video +homework (with solutions).

Physics news on Phys.org
"University Physics with Modern Physics" by Young and Freedman is the best book in physics I've seen. It starts from basics works up to modern physics. following the chapters and the explanations problem solving and then solving the questions. it makes you a phenomenal physicist (bach level) if you follow everything i recommend it.

Thank you, I'll get myself a copy of that. That's actually the one the physicists read at my university (I study biology). I also learned about edX today, An amazing free online university course with homework and everything.

I can recommend some resources that I believe would be helpful for self-learning introductory physics. One option is the OpenStax Physics textbook, which is available for free online and covers a wide range of topics in an easily understandable manner. Another resource is the Khan Academy, which offers video lectures and practice problems for introductory physics. Additionally, MIT OpenCourseWare has a collection of lecture notes, assignments, and exams from their introductory physics courses. These materials can be accessed for free online.

I also recommend looking into Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) such as Coursera or edX, which offer complete courses with video lectures, assignments, and quizzes. These courses often have a structured curriculum and can provide a more comprehensive learning experience.

It's also important to supplement your learning with hands-on activities and experiments. The Physics Classroom and Physics Central both offer interactive simulations and experiments that can help solidify your understanding of key concepts.

In terms of books, I suggest looking into "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick or "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. These textbooks are widely used in university courses and provide a thorough understanding of introductory physics concepts.

Overall, the key to self-learning physics is to have a variety of resources and to actively engage with the material through practice problems and experiments. I hope these recommendations will help you in your self-learning journey.

1. What is the best introductory self-learning physics guide for beginners?

The best introductory self-learning physics guide for beginners is subjective and depends on the individual's learning style and goals. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick.

2. Are there any free online resources for learning introductory physics?

Yes, there are many free online resources for learning introductory physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer video lessons, practice problems, and other helpful materials for self-learning.

3. How long does it take to complete an introductory physics guide?

The time it takes to complete an introductory physics guide varies depending on the individual's pace of learning and the length of the guide. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to complete an introductory physics guide.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or math skills to understand introductory physics?

Some basic math skills are necessary to understand introductory physics, such as algebra and trigonometry. However, most introductory physics guides assume no prior knowledge of physics and will cover the necessary math concepts as they are introduced.

5. Can I use an introductory physics guide to prepare for a physics exam?

Yes, an introductory physics guide can be a helpful resource for preparing for a physics exam. However, it is important to use other resources such as textbooks and practice problems to supplement your learning and ensure a thorough understanding of the material.