Best physics discipline for engineering jobs, Applied?

In summary, the individual is currently studying an honours course in Physics and is passionate about making new things using their knowledge in physics. They are unsure about which post-grad program would be best for them, whether it is Applied Physics or Msc followed by ME. They also express interest in working in R&D for renewable energy, but are unsure of what steps to take. It is mentioned that attending a lower-ranked school may impact job market competitiveness and that an engineering degree may be more beneficial for those seeking engineering jobs. However, it is also noted that there may be opportunities for physicists in academic research and on engineering teams.
Natcu
I am studying an honours course in Physics, I love physics and yet I also have my heart set for making new things using what I've learned in physics (I have no interest is academic positions however, research does interest me). which post-grad will be best for that? Applied Physics? or Msc and then ME?

I will like to go R&D of machines especially in renewable energy sector?

What should I do?

Last edited:
Likes atyy and Dr. Courtney
Physics news on Phys.org
Natcu said:
I am studying an honours course in Physics, I love physics and yet I also have my heart set for making new things using what I've learned in physics (I have no interest is academic positions however, research does interest me). which post-grad will be best for that? Applied Physics? or Msc and then ME?

I will like to go R&D of machines especially in renewable energy sector?

What should I do?

This question comes up so much that I am beginning to think many of those who ask it are planning to attend second or third tier schools without engineering programs. A Physics degree from schools like Coastal Carolina, Nicholls St., Eastern Kentucky, or Florida Atlantic will not make you as competitive in the job market as a ME or Physics degree from NC State, LSU, Louisville, or U of Florida.

If necessity dictates you attend a school that is not in the top 100 physics programs, then your GPA, GRE scores, marketable skills (programming), and research experiences (with great recommendation letters) will matter much more than the nuiances of your program of study.

If you want an engineering job, the best degree is an engineering degree, not a physics degree. Beyond that, your description was not specific enough to recommend a discipline.

Likes ModusPwnd and billy_joule
To: Dr Courtney. Be careful not to overgeneralize. I personally know a Florida Atlantic graduate who later earned a doctorate in physics in a top 30 graduate program (although it was > 30 years ago.) This graduate has done well working in the semiconductor industry since earning his degree, Sometimes the underdog makes good.

Some academic engineering research will require a pure physicist on the team, some will be solely a team effort of engineers of different flavors. Can't help you figure that out. Maybe others.

If you are very sure that you never want to work as a physicist, doing fundamental work and not building/developing something but just figuring something out, then you need to switch to an engineering degree with a good track to PhD research.

1. What is the best physics discipline for engineering jobs?

The best physics discipline for engineering jobs is highly dependent on the specific field of engineering you are interested in. However, some of the most commonly sought-after physics disciplines for engineering jobs include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and materials science and engineering.

2. Is applied physics a good choice for engineering jobs?

Yes, applied physics is a great choice for engineering jobs. Applied physics focuses on the practical application of physics principles to solve real-world problems, making it a valuable skill set for engineers. Additionally, many engineering jobs require a strong foundation in physics, making applied physics a useful discipline to have for a career in engineering.

3. What are the benefits of studying applied physics for engineering jobs?

Studying applied physics can provide you with a strong understanding of fundamental physics principles and how they can be applied to solve complex engineering problems. This can make you a valuable asset to companies looking for engineers with a deeper understanding of the science behind their work. Additionally, studying applied physics can also open up a wide range of job opportunities in various engineering fields.

4. How does applied physics differ from other physics disciplines?

Applied physics differs from other physics disciplines in that it focuses on the practical application of physics principles to solve real-world problems, rather than purely theoretical concepts. This involves using mathematical and scientific methods to design and create new technologies and products, making it a highly interdisciplinary field that combines elements of physics, engineering, and other sciences.

5. What are some examples of engineering jobs that require a background in applied physics?

There are many engineering jobs that require a background in applied physics, including positions in the fields of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, materials science and engineering, aerospace engineering, and more. Some specific job titles that may require a background in applied physics include research and development engineer, product development engineer, systems engineer, and design engineer.