Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best position for a dehumidifying block?

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    My room is very humid all the time, and has no convenient place for a regular dehumidifier. Instead, I got a manual dehumidifier. All it is is a slitted chamber (for airflow) with a block of Damp Rid. The water condensates on the block of Damp Rid and funnels into a chamber to hold the water.

I'm wondering if it would be better to place this at a place with high air circulation (such as in front of a fan) or somewhere less windy. Will putting the dehumidifier in front of a fan just cause the water to evaporate as quickly as its being condensed? Or will the extra circulation help more water condense on the block?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2
    I don't think that is what you want. Damp Rid absorbs water. It can absorb only a limited amount of moisture and is intended to removed water from a closed area with little or no air exchange. A dehumidifier will extract several gallons a day from a house, maybe a gallon a day from a single room. That water has to be moved somewhere and absorbing it will not work.

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3
    Indeed. There is presumably an entropy cost to removing the moisture, therefore you can expect your device to consume something.

In the interests of sustainability, one might consider rerouting the house's cold water supply to pass first through a radiator (placed above a drain). Better still would be a surface designed to radiate condensation heat to the night sky. More practically in your case (one room), just try opening windows (and doors) for a breeze (and maybe add shade awning over the window exterior). Or can you renew your device (the description sounds like it operates by dissolving in condensate) by leaving it out in the sun afterward?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?