1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best route for electrical engineer

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    I definitely want to do some kind of r&d with my degree so im planning on graduate school. Now ive heard that you need some kind of physics along with ee to do the real new development type of stuff, kinda like creating new and improved components and processors ect. Doesnt engineer mean to create something new anyways? So what would be the best route: double major in ee and physics then a masters in ee. Or just bsee and later msee. Or just focus on physics and not ee.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2
    I don't know who told you that you need extra physics to be able to make new stuff. Certainly having extra physics might allow you to create things that other EE majors wouldn't have the background to be able to create, but I think most of the time you would just study up on the physics you need once you get to grad school.

That said, if you're interested in the more physics-y side of EE, which it sounds like you are, I'd suggest doing a minor in physics with a major in EE. Having the physics definitely won't hurt, and it'll be interesting, but I think going all the way to a double major is too much work for too little benefit.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    Cool, just the answer is was looking for. The minor in physics does sound alot less stressful haha. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook