Best route to go for Nano Technology (but still be able to get a job?)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Toonation
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I want to go into nanotechnology but also keep my options open for employment purposes when I graduate.

At the moment I'm Chemistry & Material Science double major and I thought that'd be a good combo however at the moment I'm thinking, would MatSci for a B.S be oddly too specific for a B.S?

Is it better to just do Chemical Engineering and take a few solid state/MatSci classes on the side. Then either on the Masters or Ph.D level concentrate in Nanotech?

Also what are jobs like for nanotechnology at the moment/near future?Side Note: I noticed I do like computers seeing I built my own and the few java classes I took seemed really easy is there a way to work with nanotechnlogy with computers or will that require a Computer Engineering degree?

I noticed I'm using this forum a lot recently but this seems like the only place to get really great answers

:!)Thanks for the Replies:!)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to tell us what you mean by "nanotechnology". It is one of those words that can mean anything from organic chemistry to electrical engineering.
 
f95toli said:
You need to tell us what you mean by "nanotechnology". It is one of those words that can mean anything from organic chemistry to electrical engineering.

I'm planing on doing nano tech more related to computers and things related to them. So yea closer to electrical engineering. I mean I'm thinking ChemE undergrad with a few classes geared towards that, followed by a more narrowed down degree on the masters (maybe PhD?) level will work because I still want to versatile so I though a ChemE B.S later in life would be something good to bank off of if I can't find a job in nano tech.

This is all speculation but I just wan others' opinions on it that's all.
 
It is relatively new and uncommon, but this is the closest thing I can think is what you are looking for: there's a degree called professional science master's in nanoscience. The degree supposedly allows students to continue on their study in the field while developing workplace skills highly valued by employers. In our school's program, prospective students must be in chemistry, physics, materials science/engineering, or electrical engineering. Our school groups materials science and materials engineering into a single discipline, so I believe that materials science curriculum wise doesn't differ too much from materials engineering, which is a legitimate and growing field.

Regarding your interest, if I were you I would major in electrical engineering and take as many programming/nanotechnology classes as I can. I think majoring in chemistry/chemical engineering doesn't prepare you enough for nanotechnology, as nanotech is a continuously evolving field and qualitative knowledge you learn from chemistry probably will not be as useful as practical skills you may learn in other engineering disciplines (perhaps lab techniques may be useful).