1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Which course should I do to study advanced nanotechnology?

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    Which course should I do to study "advanced" nanotechnology?

By "advanced" I mean futuristic concepts like nanorobotics, micro/nano electromechanical systems, programmable matter, metamaterials, etc.. Right now I am studying nanotechnology as part of the BSc (Uni of Western Australia), however I am having second thoughts. The degree is just basically physics (which I like), however the two units entitled "nanotechnology" are just chemistry lab safety and microscopy (sorta leaning towards the nanomaterials/chemistry side of things, which I DON'T like).

So I'm thinking about withdrawing from the nanotech course and doing a double major in Mechatronics engineering (BE) and physics (BSc). I only have a week left to make my decision, as the academic withdrawal date is getting closer and closer.

Is this a good move? Will I be able to apply the electrical, mechanical and computer science concepts I learn in Mechatronics to these futuristic nano concepts? Or is it a better idea to stick with the nanotech degree?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2
    Re: Which course should I do to study "advanced" nanotechnology?

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought I'd mention that my uni offers training courses in microscopy (SEM, TEM, SPM etc), so the unit I'm studying (and thinking about dropping) is really just the theory behind it. Basically if I withdraw from nanotech I can learn about microscopy, which is necessary for nanotechnology.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook