1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best second introduction to Mehanics?

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    For a first introduction, I remember a lot of you suggested An introduction to mechanics [by] Daniel Kleppner [and] Robert J. Kolenkow. But what about a second introduction with Lagrangian and Hamiltonians? I think I have heard of books like that by Goldstein and Ayra but they don't have answer at the back of the book. Anyone recommend a book that have many answers and is not too advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    Classical Dynamics by Greenwood has "answers to selected problems".

Landau & Lifschitz has some useful worked problems, but the book is at a pretty high level. Goldstein accuses them of handwaving a lot, but I prefer to think of their arguments as elegantly concise, at least when I can follow them.

There used to be a Schaum's Outline on Theoretical Mechanics by Spiegel (one of the better Schaum's writers). I don't know how this differed from the current Schaum's on Langragian Dynamics by a different guy. Check out some of these prices. Pretty silly for a book printed on cheap pulp.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  4. Dec 3, 2006 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Marion (I think the title is Classical Dynamics) covers the material you are looking for, and most of that in Goldstein, at an advanced undergrad level. His book has been a standard for 3 or 4 generations of students. Any edition from 2nd onwards should work well for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?