Beta decay, electron capture Q value

In summary, in order to find the Q value for electron capture of ^196Au, you will need to use the equation Q𝜖 = [m(^AX)-m(^AX')]c^2-Bn. To determine whether you have a K- or L-shell for the electron, you can refer to the table provided in the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_gold. Assuming you have a K-shell, taking Bn = ^196m1Au would give you the correct answer. However, it is also possible for it to be an L-shell, although capture from the innermost shell is the most likely process.
Incand

Homework Statement

Find the ##Q## value for electron capture of ##^{196}Au##.

Homework Equations

##Q_\epsilon = [m(^AX)-m(^AX')]c^2-B_n##

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know if I have an ##K##- or ##L##-shell for the electron?
Assuming I have an ##K## shell taking ##B_n = \; ^{196m1}Au## from this table,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_gold
;I get the correct answer but I don't understand why it couldn't just as well been an ##L##-shell?

Physics news on Phys.org
Capture from the innermost shell is by far the most likely process.

Likes Incand
mfb said:
Capture from the innermost shell is by far the most likely process.
Thanks! That would make sense out of it.

1. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable nucleus releases a beta particle (an electron or positron) and transforms into a more stable nucleus.

2. What is the role of the Q value in beta decay?

The Q value, also known as the decay energy, is the difference in mass between the parent nucleus and the resulting daughter nucleus. It represents the amount of energy released during the decay process.

3. What is electron capture?

Electron capture is a type of radioactive decay in which an electron from the inner shell of an atom is absorbed by the nucleus, resulting in the emission of a neutrino and the transformation of the atom into a different element.

4. How is the Q value calculated in electron capture?

The Q value in electron capture is calculated by taking the difference in mass between the parent nucleus and the resulting daughter nucleus, and adding the mass of the captured electron and the mass of the emitted neutrino.

5. How is beta decay and electron capture related to each other?

Beta decay and electron capture are both types of radioactive decay that involve the transformation of an unstable nucleus into a more stable one. However, in beta decay, a beta particle is emitted, while in electron capture, an electron is absorbed by the nucleus. Both processes result in the release of energy in the form of a Q value.