1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta+ decay or electron capture?

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    CoMlzye.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    See below.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We have β+ decay ##X_{Z}^{A} \rightarrow Y_{Z-1}^{A}+ e^{+}+\upsilon _{e}## which leads to the mass condition ##M(A,Z)>m(A,Z-1)+2m_{e}##.

We have electron capture ##X_{Z}^{A} + e^{-}\rightarrow Y_{Z-1}^{A}+ \upsilon _{e}## which leads to the mass condition ##M(A,Z)>m(A,Z-1)+\frac{\varepsilon }{c^{2}}##.

Those are the mass conditions. From my notes it says ##\frac{\varepsilon }{c^{2}}\ll m(A,Z-1)## therefore electron capture can happen whenever β+ decay does, but β+ decay is more likely. I am unsure about this statement or how it helps distinguish which one would happen for certain conditions.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can check the inequalities to see what is possible.
    If beta+ decay is possible (and if the inequality is not too close to an equality), it is more likely.

4. Apr 4, 2015 #3
    the inequalities are ##\frac{\varepsilon }{c^{2}}## and ##2m_{e}## , sorry it should have been if ##\frac{\varepsilon }{c^{2}}\ll 2m_{e}## in the original post. So if ##\frac{\varepsilon }{c^{2}}\ll 2m_{e}## then it's beta decay, if ##\frac{\varepsilon }{c^{2}}\gg 2m_{e}## it's electron capture and if they are equal it is equally likely? Is that what you mean?

Many thanks for the reply

5. Apr 4, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That does not make sense.

If both inequalities are satisfied, both processes are possible. Then beta+ decay is more likely, with an exception:
    If beta+ is "just" allowed (the left side of the beta+ inequality condition is just a tiny bit larger than the right), then beta+ decay is not very likely.

6. Apr 4, 2015 #5
    Ahh so by stating the mass condition for each I've answered the question, excellent, I think I got confused by trying to link the two mass conditions somehow as independant entities when they can both be satisfied at the same time. thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted