Energy Loss in Plastic Scintillator

In summary, at 10 MeV, the energy loss for protons, deuterons, and alpha particles is about 9 MeV. The relativistic energy is about 9.5 MeV. At 200 MeV, the energy loss is about 18 MeV.
Incand

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy loss loss ##\Delta T## for protons, deuterons and ##\alpha##-particles between ##10## to ##200##MeV when they're passing through a 2mm thick plastic scintillator. Suppose ##Z/A=0.56##, ##I=65eV## and ##\rho = 1.10##g/cm^3.

Homework Equations

Bethe formula
##\frac{dE}{dx}=\left( \frac{e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \right)^2 \frac{4 \pi z^2 N_0 Z\rho}{mc^2\beta^2 A} \left[ \ln \left( \frac{ 2mc^2 \beta^2}{I}\right) - \ln (1-\beta^2)-\beta^2\right]##
##N_0## is Avogadro's constant, ##v = \beta c##, ##ze## the electric charge of the particle, ##Z, A## and ##\rho## the atomic number, atomic weight, and density of the stopping material and ##m## the electron mass.

Relativistic energy
##T = mc^2-\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} = mc^2-\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}##

Mass of proton ##m_p = 938.28##MeV/c^2
Mass of electron ##m = 0.511003##MeV/c^2
Electron charge ##1.60217662 \cdot 10^{-19}## coulomb
Avogadro's constant ##6.0221409\cdot 10^{23}##
permittivity of free space ##8.85418782\cdot 10^{-12}## F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by just trying to compute ##\Delta T## for ##T = 10 MeV## for the proton.
The ##\beta## factor after some algebra is
##\beta = \sqrt{1-\left(\frac{1}{\frac{T}{mc^2}+1}\right)^2}##

For the rest of the values I converted everything to SI units and then input the formula into matlab. However I end up with an error in the order of ##10^2## if I do this and I think it may be since I'm using the formula with the wrong units. The ##Z/A## value in particular I have no unit of and I don't know if I should convert that to kg or not if it's in atomic mass units.

Here's the MATLAB code for the calculation:
Code:
e=1.60217662e-19; %electron charge
e0 = 8.85418782e-12; %permitivity of free space
ZA = 0.56; %unit??
I=65e-6; %MeV
rho = 1.10*1000; %converted to kg/m^3
N0 = 6.0221409e+23; %avogadro
d=0.002; %distance in meter
z=1; %proton
mc2 = 0.511003; %MeV electron
mc2p = 938.28; %MeV proton
T = 10; %MeV
beta=sqrt(1-1./(T./mc2p+1).^2);
k = (e^2/(4*pi*e0))^2*4*pi*z^2*N0*rho*ZA./(mc2*e*1e6); %convert to joule/meter
temp = 1/beta^2*(log(2*mc2*beta.^2./I)-log(1-beta.^2)-beta.^2);
dT = d*k.*temp/e/10^6 %convert to MeV
This outputs ##0.0105## MeV while the graph provided in the answer says I should get something close to ##9## MeV.

I realize this is quite a long post so I'm mostly hoping that someone is familiar with the formula to know which units I should be using since I suspect that is my error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:
Z/A value in particular I have no unit of
Isn't it just the ratio protons/(protons+neutrons)?
Incand said:
(mc2*e*1e6)
I must be missing something here. mc2 is 0.5MeV, right? I don't see anything in the quoted equation that corresponds to the e*1e6.

Likes Incand
haruspex said:
Isn't it just the ratio protons/(protons+neutrons)?
I don't think so, it should be the relative atomic mass https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethe_formula
And unless ##A## got the unit ##kg## the units doesn't work out since
##\left(C^2/(F/m)\right)^2\cdot kg/m^3/J = \frac{C^4 \cdot kg}{F^2\cdot m \cdot J} = \frac{J\cdot kg}{m}##

haruspex said:
I must be missing something here. mc2 is 0.5MeV, right? I don't see anything in the quoted equation that corresponds to the e*1e6.
I converted to joule here. ##1 MeV = e \cdot 10^6##

I'm thinking ##A## is the atomic mass in g/mole. The mole here will cancel with the mole in ##N_0## and the grams will cancel with the grams in ##\rho##. But if this is so, then Z/A should have been specified as 0.56 mole/g, rather than as a dimensionless quantity.

Likes Incand
I think I may have found an algebraic error. In your expression for ## \beta ## it should be ## T/(mc^2) -1 ## in that denominator instead of ## T/(mc^2)+1 ##.

Likes Incand
Charles Link said:
I think I may have found an algebraic error. In your expression for ## \beta ## it should be ## T/(mc^2) -1 ## in that denominator instead of ## T/(mc^2)+1 ##.

I think the expression for ##\beta## is OK. However, the original expression for ##T## was given as
Incand said:
##T = mc^2-\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} = mc^2-\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}##
The two terms on the right should be interchanged.

Likes Incand and Charles Link
Incand, note that the rate of loss of energy, |dE/dx|, increases as the particle slows down. So, you might not be able to treat dE/dx as a constant while the particle is traveling the 2 mm distance through the plastic.

EDIT: Is there any way you could post the graph you referred to in the OP?

Likes Incand
mole/g would make sense, I see if I can get some better values out of that.

I redrew the answer figure. It's not exact but pretty close. It is a loglog plot. I get lines similar lines if I do the same calculation as above but varying beta but with the wrong factors infront.

That's true TSny, I guess I may have to integrate then. Still at least for high energy particle the energy loss is low enough that this shouldn't affect the answer that much so maybe it's easier to work on the 200 MeV side first.

Attachments

• bethe.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 149
Okey It seems you were correct about the unit of ##Z/A##. Using that I get reasonable answers

Code:
e=1.60217662e-19; %electron charge
e0 = 8.85418782e-12; %permitivity of free space
ZA = 0.56; %unit??
I=65e-6; %MeV
rho = 1.10*10^6; %converted to g/m^3
N0 = 6.0221409e+23; %avogadro
d=0.002; %distance in meter
z=1; %proton
mc2 = 0.511003; %MeV electron
mc2p = 938.28; %MeV proton
T = 200; %MeV
beta=sqrt(1-1./(T./mc2p+1).^2);
k = (e^2/(4*pi*e0))^2*4*N0*pi*z^2*rho*ZA./(mc2*e*1e6); %convert to joule/meter
temp = 1/beta^2*(log(2*mc2*beta.^2./I)-log(1-beta.^2)-beta.^2);
dT = d*k.*temp/e/10^6 %convert to MeV
This outputs about ##1##MeV. while if I change to ##T=10##MeV I get ##\Delta T \approx 11## MeV so I'm in the right order. I'm guessing it's just I need to integrate to get the last part. For ##200## MeV, it already works well

Likes Charles Link

What is "Energy Loss" in Plastic Scintillator?

"Energy Loss" in Plastic Scintillator refers to the phenomenon where high-energy particles, such as photons or charged particles, lose some of their energy as they pass through the scintillator material. This loss of energy is due to interactions between the particles and the atoms in the material, resulting in the emission of light.

How does Energy Loss affect the performance of Plastic Scintillator detectors?

The amount of energy lost by particles in a Plastic Scintillator detector can impact its ability to accurately measure the energy of incoming particles. This is because the amount of light emitted is proportional to the energy lost, and if the energy loss is too high, it can lead to inaccuracies in the measurement.

What factors can influence Energy Loss in Plastic Scintillator?

The amount of energy lost in Plastic Scintillator can be influenced by various factors, such as the type and energy of the incoming particles, the thickness and composition of the scintillator material, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. These factors can affect the interactions between particles and the scintillator material, resulting in variations in energy loss.

How is Energy Loss in Plastic Scintillator measured and quantified?

Energy loss in Plastic Scintillator can be measured and quantified using techniques such as gamma-ray spectroscopy or by comparing the light output from the scintillator with known energy sources. This allows scientists to determine the average energy loss for a particular type of particle and adjust their measurements accordingly.

What are some applications of Plastic Scintillator detectors that take into account Energy Loss?

Plastic Scintillator detectors are commonly used in various fields, such as particle and nuclear physics, medical imaging, and homeland security. In these applications, the amount of energy loss in the scintillator material is carefully considered and calibrated to ensure accurate measurements and imaging. Additionally, the use of different types of scintillator materials can be optimized for specific energy ranges, allowing for a wide range of applications.