Beyond the norm Dynamics question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the weight capacity of a hose filled with hydraulic oil and capped at both ends. It is determined that the weight it can support is equal to the pressure inside the hose, and a dimensional analysis and equation are used to calculate it. The only unknown factor is the numerical constant, which can be determined through experimentation or a material constant.
smiddleton
Hey Guys,
I have tough dynamics question. I wasn't sure if this is the best place to post it, so if it isn't please let me know. I thought it might be because I couldn't find anything about it anywhere. So here goes. If one had 10 inch long hose, 1" in diameter, filled with some incompressible fluid, like hydraulic oil, and capped both ends when the pressure was at 100 psi, how much weight could the hose support with a weight suspended from one end and the opposite end anchored into the wall, before it started to bend? Assume that the caps and the hose will be able to withstand all the pressures equally without bursting. From what I understand it could support a weight equal to the pressure in the hose, but I am not certain how to work it out mathematically. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

SM

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on a dimensional analysis: ##F = c p \frac{d^3}{l}## where c is some numerical constant (I would expect that it is between 1/5 and 5), p is the pressure, d is the diameter of the hose and l is its length. With SI units, it is easier to calculate.
##m=\frac{F}{g}## with ##g=9.81\frac{m}{s^2}##.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It all makes sense, except c, the numerical constant, how do I determine that? by experimentation or a material constant?

1. What is meant by "Beyond the norm dynamics"?

"Beyond the norm dynamics" refers to any phenomenon or process that deviates from the expected or usual patterns of behavior. This can include unexpected changes, disruptions, or shifts in a system or environment that require further examination and understanding.

2. How do scientists study "Beyond the norm dynamics"?

Scientists use various research methods and techniques, such as observation, experimentation, and data analysis, to study "Beyond the norm dynamics." They also often collaborate with other scientists and experts in related fields to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the phenomenon.

3. What are some examples of "Beyond the norm dynamics" in the natural world?

Examples of "Beyond the norm dynamics" in the natural world can include extreme weather events, sudden species population changes, and unexpected geological or environmental shifts. These can all have significant impacts on ecosystems and the organisms within them.

4. How can understanding "Beyond the norm dynamics" benefit society?

Understanding "Beyond the norm dynamics" can help scientists and policymakers to better anticipate and prepare for unexpected events, such as natural disasters or disease outbreaks. It can also lead to the development of new technologies and strategies for mitigating the effects of these dynamics and creating more resilient communities.

5. Is it possible to predict "Beyond the norm dynamics"?

While it is not always possible to predict "Beyond the norm dynamics" with complete accuracy, scientists use complex models and simulations to make educated predictions and prepare for potential outcomes. However, there will always be a level of uncertainty when studying dynamic and complex systems.