1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bijection between AuB and A with A infinite set and B enumerable set.

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    Let A and B be disjoint sets, A infinite and B enumerable. Prove that there exists a bijection between AuB and A.

3. The attempt at a solution.

I have an idea of how to prove this statement, but I got stuck in the middle, so here is what I've done:
    There are just two cases to consider:

1)A is enumerable or 2)A is uncountable.

I think that the first case is pretty simple, since if A and B are both enumerable and disjoint sets, then, AuB is also enumerable. By definition of enumerable, there exist f and g both bijective functions from N to A, and from AuB to N respectively. If I define h=fog, this function is bijective because it is composition of bijective functions and it goes from the set AuB to the set A. In conclusion, h is the function that satisfies the required conditions.

I am having some difficulty in constructing the desired function when A is uncountable. If A is uncountable, then it has a proper subset which is countable. Lets call that set S. Using properties of cardinality, I can prove that A-S is still uncountable. And the set A is exactly the union of A-S and S.
    The idea I had to construct the bijection was defining the function in this way:
    f restricted to the set B is the composition hog where h is a bijective function with N as its domain and S as its codomain and g is a bijective function with B as its domain and N as its codomain. Now I need to define f restricted to the set A, and here is where I get stuck. I mean, can I prove that there is a bijection from A to its proper uncountable subset A-S?. If this was true, then it would we very easy to prove that f is a bijection from AuB to the set A=(A-S)uS.
    Or maybe there is an easier way to solve the problem, without having to consider separated cases but this was all I could think of.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why do you make that so complicated? There is a bijection between A-S and A-S, and the remaining part of the bijection is equivalent to the case you solved before.

4. Aug 27, 2013 #3
    You are absolutely right, it was quite simple but I couldn't see it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted