Bijection between AuB and A with A infinite set and B enumerable set.

In summary, the statement can be solved by constructing a function that is restricted to the set A-S.
mahler1
1. Homework Statement .
Let A and B be disjoint sets, A infinite and B enumerable. Prove that there exists a bijection between AuB and A.

3. The Attempt at a Solution .

I have an idea of how to prove this statement, but I got stuck in the middle, so here is what I've done:
There are just two cases to consider:

1)A is enumerable or 2)A is uncountable.

I think that the first case is pretty simple, since if A and B are both enumerable and disjoint sets, then, AuB is also enumerable. By definition of enumerable, there exist f and g both bijective functions from N to A, and from AuB to N respectively. If I define h=fog, this function is bijective because it is composition of bijective functions and it goes from the set AuB to the set A. In conclusion, h is the function that satisfies the required conditions.

I am having some difficulty in constructing the desired function when A is uncountable. If A is uncountable, then it has a proper subset which is countable. Let's call that set S. Using properties of cardinality, I can prove that A-S is still uncountable. And the set A is exactly the union of A-S and S.
The idea I had to construct the bijection was defining the function in this way:
f restricted to the set B is the composition hog where h is a bijective function with N as its domain and S as its codomain and g is a bijective function with B as its domain and N as its codomain. Now I need to define f restricted to the set A, and here is where I get stuck. I mean, can I prove that there is a bijection from A to its proper uncountable subset A-S?. If this was true, then it would we very easy to prove that f is a bijection from AuB to the set A=(A-S)uS.
Or maybe there is an easier way to solve the problem, without having to consider separated cases but this was all I could think of.

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea I had to construct the bijection was defining the function in this way:
Why do you make that so complicated? There is a bijection between A-S and A-S, and the remaining part of the bijection is equivalent to the case you solved before.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
Why do you make that so complicated? There is a bijection between A-S and A-S, and the remaining part of the bijection is equivalent to the case you solved before.

You are absolutely right, it was quite simple but I couldn't see it. Thanks!

1. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a mathematical function that maps elements from one set to another in a one-to-one and onto manner. This means that each element in the first set is paired with a unique element in the second set, and vice versa.

2. How do you prove a bijection between two sets?

To prove a bijection between two sets, you must show that the function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that for every element in the first set, there is a unique element in the second set, and every element in the second set is paired with an element from the first set.

3. Why is it important to have a bijection between two sets?

A bijection between two sets is important because it allows us to establish a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets. This can help us understand the relationship between the sets and can also be useful in solving mathematical problems.

4. How does the size of a set affect the possibility of a bijection?

If the two sets have the same size, it is possible to have a bijection between them. However, if one set is larger than the other, it is not possible to have a bijection as there will be elements in one set that do not have a corresponding element in the other set.

5. Can a set with an infinite number of elements have a bijection with a set that is only enumerable?

Yes, it is possible for a set with an infinite number of elements to have a bijection with a set that is only enumerable. This is because while the first set may have infinitely many elements, the second set can still contain all of those elements in a systematic and countable manner.