Prove bijection from (0,1] to (0,1)

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bijection
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove that the sets (0,1] and (0,1) are equivalent, and presents a function that maps the elements of (0,1] to (0,1) using an identity function for irrationals and a specific mapping for rationals. It is shown that this mapping is one-to-one and onto, thus proving that (0,1] and (0,1) are equivalent. The possible continuity of the function is also discussed, with the conclusion that it is not possible for the function to be continuous in this case.
issacnewton
Homework Statement
Prove that ## (0,1] \thicksim (0,1) ##
Relevant Equations
Definition of a bijection
So, I need to prove that ## (0,1] \thicksim (0,1) ##. Which means that I need to come up with some bijection from ##(0,1]## to ##(0,1)##. Now here is the outline of my function. I am going to use identity function for all irrationals. So, any irrational number in ##(0,1]## will be mapped to the same number in ##(0,1)##. Now, I am going to divide rationals of ##(0,1]## as following. All rationals will be expressed in their lowest form. Now, with this understanding, first sub set is all rationals with numerator 1, second sub set is all rationals with numerator 2 and so on. Also, these sub sets will be disjoint. ##2/4## will not be included in the sub-set where numerator is ##2##, since this is ##1/2## and is already included in the first sub set. So, I have

$$ A_1 = \left\{ 1, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3},\frac{1}{4}, \cdots \right\} $$
$$A_2 = \left\{ \frac{2}{3}, \frac{2}{5}, \frac{2}{7}\cdots \right\} $$
$$ A_3 = \left\{ \frac{3}{4}, \frac{3}{5}, \frac{3}{7}\cdots \right\} $$

I also define the following subsets of ##(0,1)##

$$ B_1 = \left\{ \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{3}, \frac{1}{4},\cdots \right\} $$
$$B_2 = \left\{ \frac{2}{3}, \frac{2}{5}, \frac{2}{7}\cdots \right\} $$
$$ B_3 = \left\{ \frac{3}{4}, \frac{3}{5}, \frac{3}{7}\cdots \right\} $$

Now, I am going to map ##A_i## to ##B_i## for all ##i \geqslant 2##. So, this is going to be an identity function. And for ##A_1## and ##B_1##, the mapping will be as follows

$$ 1 \longrightarrow \frac{1}{2} $$
$$ \frac{1}{2} \longrightarrow \frac{1}{3} $$
$$ \frac{1}{3} \longrightarrow \frac{1}{4} $$
$$\cdots$$

So, with this kind of mapping, the mapping is a one-to-one and onto function from ##(0,1]## to ##(0,1)##. And that proves that ## (0,1] \thicksim (0,1) ##. Do you think this is a valid proof ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with this. It's also possible to show that [0, 1] is isomorphic to [0, 1] X [0, 1], but the mapping, like yours, is of course not continuous.

Thanks Mark, of course this is not continuous. I think its not possible for the function to be continuous in this case. What do you think ?

IssacNewton said:
Thanks Mark, of course this is not continuous. I think its not possible for the function to be continuous in this case. What do you think ?

Wouldn't your proof be simpler if you just considered the set ##A_1##? I.e. just the sequence ##1, \frac 1 2 \frac 1 3 \dots##? Why involve all the other rationals?

In terms of discontinuity, you can construct a proof by considering the ##a \in (0, 1)## that maps to ##1##; then use the intermediate value theorem to show that a continuous mapping from ##(0,1)## to ##(0,1]## cannot be one-to-one.

PeroK, yes, essentially, the proof boils down to the set ##A_1##. But I could not think this initially. I had to divide rationals and irrationals first and then try to think of how the rational mapping is to be done.

What is a bijection?

A bijection is a function that is both one-to-one and onto, meaning that each element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range, and vice versa.

How do you prove that a function is a bijection?

To prove a function is a bijection, you must show that it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This can be done by showing that each element in the domain has a unique mapping to an element in the range, and that every element in the range has a corresponding element in the domain.

What is the difference between (0,1] and (0,1)?

The parentheses in (0,1) indicate that the endpoints, 0 and 1, are not included in the interval. On the other hand, the square bracket in (0,1] means that the endpoint 1 is included in the interval.

Why is it important to prove bijection in this case?

Proving bijection is important because it ensures that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements in the two sets, (0,1] and (0,1). This allows us to confidently use one set to describe the other and vice versa.

What is the significance of this proof in mathematics and science?

Proving bijection is not only important in mathematics, but also in various fields of science such as computer science, physics, and statistics. It allows for the translation and understanding of concepts between different areas of study and is essential in the development of new theories and solutions to complex problems.