Binding energy and work function of a solid?

In summary, binding energy is the energy required to bring an electron from an atom to a vacuum, and work function is the energy needed to bring an electron from the fermi level to the vacuum level and keep it there. The work function also includes overcoming the image potential that pulls the electron back towards the material's surface. In some cases, the apparent work function may differ from the pure work function due to the effects of interfaces between different materials. This is a key concept in solid state physics that has practical applications in CMOS technology.
Repetit
Can someone explain the difference to me? Is it correct that the binding energy is the energy needed to bring an electron to the fermi level, and the work function it the energy needed to bring an electron from the fermi level to the vacuum level?

What are typical values of the binding energy and the work function? Is one of them much larger than the other?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
binding energy is a term usually spoken of in context of atoms ie. the energy to to bring a core electron from an atom into vacuum. binding energies and work functions are rather pointless to compare because the difference between atomic electrons and the ones occupying the bands is very distinct but binding energies are usually orders of magnitude larger.

Well, I think loosely used, Repetit's definition of binding energy is OK. I know we use it in photoemission spectroscopy to designate the energy of the photoelectrons we extracted as measured with respect to the Fermi energy. So this corresponds to the definition given.

The work function "effective definition" is also as given in the OP, only it gets a bit messier if one tries to actually define it carefully. For example, in many instances, the work function includes the "image potential" of the charge that just barely made it out of the metal with almost no energy, but gets attracted back to it due to the image charge. So the "work function" is an over-estimation of the true work function, but only by a very slight amount that makes no difference in many instances.

Unfortunately, for some of the things I had to study, such differences do make a difference. So that's why I had to carefully investigate these things. Things get very tedious and difficult once we try to pry open the intricate details of a phenomenon.

Zz.

Thanks for the help! Good to know that I was not too wrong on the meaning of these terms :-)

Repetit said:
Can someone explain the difference to me? Is it correct that the binding energy is the energy needed to bring an electron to the fermi level, and the work function it the energy needed to bring an electron from the fermi level to the vacuum level?
Thanks!
I agree with your definitions but in the case of the work function (WF) it is better to say : "the work function it the energy needed to bring an electron from the fermi level to the vacuum level AND KEEP IT THERE"

What i mean with the addendum "KEEP IT THERE" is that once you bring an electron "outside" a material into the vacuum, there is going to be an image potential that wants to pull back the electron towards the material's surface. So a WF must also include this : not only is it the energy to get an electron outside the metal (ie get it out of the conduction band in the case of metals for example) and to [ii] put the electron into the vacuum (ie overcome the surface potential) but also to [iii] keep the electron at the vacuum level (ie overcome the image potentials).

Another thing, when studying interfaces of different materials (like a metal/ high k dielectric interface) there is also the concept of "apparent WF". For example, in the metal/high k dielectric (eg HfO2) interface, the metal apparent WF is the metal WF close to the interface. This metal WF will not be equal to the pure metal WF (when the metal is NOT in contact with the dielectric : so no interface) because in the interfacial region, the electrostatics that determine the WF-value are determined by both the metal AND the dielectric. Such topics are very interesting and important to, for example, current ongoing CMOS device technology. This is an example of solid state physics bein' used in CMOS technology and this is exactly what i am doing in my PhD.

regards
marlon

1. What is binding energy of a solid?

The binding energy of a solid is the amount of energy required to separate the atoms or molecules in a solid material. It is a measure of the strength of the bonds holding the solid together.

2. How is binding energy calculated?

Binding energy is calculated using the formula E = m*c^2, where E is the binding energy, m is the mass defect (difference between the mass of individual atoms and the mass of the solid), and c is the speed of light.

3. What factors affect the binding energy of a solid?

The binding energy of a solid is affected by factors such as the type of atoms or molecules in the solid, the distance between the atoms or molecules, and the strength of the bonds between them.

4. What is work function of a solid?

The work function of a solid is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the solid. It is a measure of the strength of the bonds between the electrons and the solid material.

5. How is work function related to binding energy?

Work function and binding energy are related because they both measure the strength of the bonds between atoms or molecules in a solid material. However, work function specifically refers to the energy required to remove an electron from the surface, while binding energy refers to the energy required to separate atoms or molecules within the solid.