Electron affinity, work function, band gap

In summary: So what's the difference between electron affinity and photoemission threshold?The electron affinity is the energy needed to bring an electron from the valence band to the Fermi level. Photoemission threshold is the energy from the top of the valence band to the vacuum level.
aaaa202
What exactly is the relation between these 3 quantities?
As far as I can tell the work function is the energy needed to bring an electron from the fermi level out into vacuum, while affinity is from the bottom of the conduction band.
Does this then mean that they can be used to calculate the band gap between the conduction band and valence band? For me it would appear so since you normally say that the fermi level is midway between the valence and conduction band. But is this always true, and why is it true?

Likes sounouhid
Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
What exactly is the relation between these 3 quantities?
As far as I can tell the work function is the energy needed to bring an electron from the fermi level out into vacuum, while affinity is from the bottom of the conduction band.
Does this then mean that they can be used to calculate the band gap between the conduction band and valence band? For me it would appear so since you normally say that the fermi level is midway between the valence and conduction band. But is this always true, and why is it true?

It's easier if I show you a sketch, so I took a couple of pages from one of my presentations:

uzcPEE.jpg

tUEc3J.jpg

Note that only for the metal is the "work function" equals to the photoemission threshold. This is because the work function, defined as the energy between the Fermi level and the vacuum level, sits in the middle of the gap for an intrinsic semiconductor. There are no states there! So instead, the photoemission threashold is the energy from the top of the valence band (which is filled) to the vacuum level.

So no, you can't use the work function minus the electron affinity to find the band gap. Rather, you have to use the photoemission threshold minus the electron affinity.

Zz.

but what about the affinity minus the work function times 2? Shouldn't that give the band gap?

aaaa202 said:
but what about the affinity minus the work function times 2? Shouldn't that give the band gap?

Of course you can, but is there a reason that you are fixated with using the electron affinity?

But be careful. This ONLY works for an intrinsic semiconductor when you make the assumption that the Fermi level is right in the middle of the gap. This is no longer true for extrinsic semiconductor, so in this latter case, you can no longer use that deduction.

Secondly, the electron affinity for a semiconductor requires a bit more "work" to get, especially from experiments, unlike, say, atoms. One can get the band gap value more directly (and easier) than the electron affinity. The same can be said about the photoemission threshold. So more often than not, those two values are used to arrive at the electron affinity in a semiconductor, rather than the other way around.

Zz.

1. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity refers to the amount of energy released when an electron is added to a neutral atom or molecule to form a negative ion.

2. How is work function defined?

Work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a solid material, typically measured in electron volts (eV).

3. What is the significance of the band gap in a material?

The band gap is the energy difference between the valence band (where electrons are normally found) and the conduction band (where electrons can move freely). It determines whether a material is a conductor, insulator, or semiconductor.

4. How does electron affinity affect the properties of a material?

A higher electron affinity means that it is easier for a material to gain an electron and form a negative ion. This can affect the reactivity and chemical properties of the material.

5. Can the work function of a material be changed?

Yes, the work function of a material can be altered by factors such as temperature, surface conditions, and exposure to certain gases or chemicals. It can also be modified through techniques such as doping or thin film deposition.