1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding energy of an electron in an excited state?

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much energy is required to remove an electron from a hydrogen atom in a state with n = 8?

2. Relevant equations

E = - (1 / 4pi*epsilon_0)(me^4/2(h-bar)^2)(1/n^2)

Where E is the total energy of the electron.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that if you solve the above equation for the ground state (n = 1), the binding energy of the electron is equal to E, but I'm not so sure about excited states. Do I merely solve the above equation for n = 8, or is there something I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2
    as you have said , to remove an electron from a hydrogen atom which is in a ground state , the least amount of energy you have to give is 13.6ev (note that En= -13.6/n^2) and n=1 in the ground state ...

so when the atom is at n=8, what is the least amount of energy you have to give it in order to remove the electron (can you see some kind of symmetry here ) ... :)

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3
    Well, the answer I got is 0.2124 eV...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook