• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Binomial Distribution Statistics Problem

Homework Statement

Estimate the probability that, in a group of five people, at least two of them have the same zodiacal sign. (There are 12 zodiacal signs; assume that each sign is equally likely for any person.)

Homework Equations

P(X=k) = nCk * [tex]p^{k}[/tex] * [tex](1-p)^k{}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it involves in some way subtracting the probability that everyone has a unique zodiacal sign from 1, but I'm not sure exactly how.

Answers and Replies

Could you possibly tell us a little more about the variables in that formula. "What do C, k, n, and p represent?"

Look up the birthday problem, it's pretty similar to this isn't it?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Estimate the probability that, in a group of five people, at least two of them have the same zodiacal sign. (There are 12 zodiacal signs; assume that each sign is equally likely for any person.)

Homework Equations

I think that it involves in some way subtracting the probability that everyone has a unique zodiacal sign from 1, but I'm not sure exactly how.
Exactly the right approach. How many ways are there to assign a different sign to each person and how many ways to assign any sign to any person. Take the ratio and subtract from 1.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your formula is incorrect- perhaps a typo. It should be
P(X=k) = nCk * [tex]p^{k}[/tex] * [tex](1-p)^{n-k}[/tex]

Yes, "at least two the same" is the opposite of "all different". Since there are 5 people and you want 5 different signs, both n and k in your binomial coefficient are 5 so that is easy- its just 1. In fact, [itex](1- p)^{5-5}= (1-p)^0= 1[/itex] so it is just "probability of all the same" is [itex]p^5[/itex]. What is p?